Limit camera rotation or where it tracks to?

2024-05-23 17:31:43 - last edited 2024-05-24 09:08:59
Model: Tapo C225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Hi there,

I am not sure if I am missing it or if it is not a thing.

Is there a way to stop the C225 camera from rotating a certain amount or even better, a hard limit on where it track to? I have the camera looking out our living room window to the outside, however every so often when it tracks something from the outside, it follows whatever it is to the edge of the window then catches the TV in the corner and detects that as movement. It will then sit looking at that for ages and ignore what we actually want it to look at, the outside!

It is really frustrating and making the camera useless for us.

The Activity Zones section in Motion Detection is essentially useless as well, if the camera moves the settings don't apply. A quick fix seems like limiting the rotation would solve it, but a better (and probably more difficult fix) would be to allow for a line that the camera would no longer track when it is rotating.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Limit camera rotation or where it tracks to?
2024-05-24 09:18:34

@sighallgone 

Hi,
Currently, the Tapo camera does not support the feature to limit the camera's rotation, for your request, you can vote or leave your comment on this thread "Limit movement", we will log the feature request and forward it to the related team to evaluate.

Btw, the Tapo C225 has the patrol mode, and you can check if it helps.
How to set up Patrol Mode on Tapo cameras?

Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@sighallgone 

I thought I would be the only one having this issue.  I was not sure how many other people use it to monitor outside via a window.   

Tim 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Tburt I think it is more popular for that than you would think.

There is a couple of ways you can get it to stop going in directions you don't want and both I think 'hacks' and not proper solutions.

1. Turn off the option to rotate the camera so that it just looks in one position. It however defeats the purpose for these types of camera to track the target if you want to have a wider field of view. 
2. Put something behind the camera like cardboard or the like to block it from seeing anything past where you want it to. This however can look terrible and probably draws more attention to the camera that you would want. 

Tapo/TP-Link - you need to sort this out as it is a feature in other cameras and I am getting close to just cutting my loss and going elsewhere. I am sure that there will be quite a few others who have similar thoughts as well. Please look in to this as an option asap. 

Tburt wrote

@sighallgone 

I thought I would be the only one having this issue.  I was not sure how many other people use it to monitor outside via a window.   

Tim 

Options
3 weeks ago

@sighallgone 

I agree, this needs a real solution from TP-Link.  It cannot be that diffecult to add to the camera.  It already has the motion routines all that is needed is few axtra lines of code for stopping.  As for cutting losses and looking elsewere I have a global version of the new Xiaomi Smart Camera C500 Pro 5MP arriving any day now.  It will be interesting to see how they handle this.   I love the Tapo line of cameras, but it seems TP Link makes some strange decisions that leaves me wondering why the would decide something is not needed.  They go 85% of the way, and then say "hey that's good enough" and call it a day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 188

Replies: 4

Related Articles