Issue with C510W losing connection

3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I just bougth two Tapo C510W. Everything was OK during configuration and during initial tests.
I mounted the cameras outside (and they cannot be accessed in an easy way) and put power on them.

Just after the Camera checkup is finished, I can see the cameras connected to the dedicated access point, receiving an IP address and the network quality is at maximum level.

I can see them in the Tapo app too.

But... less than 30s later, both cameras disapears from network (and of course they get offline in the app)

Anyone with an idea what to do to solve this ?
Thanks in advance.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Issue with C510W losing connection
3 weeks ago

@TheYoda 

Hi,
The problem may be related to the Wi-Fi signal strength. Please try to power off the camera, power on it, and then check if it will reconnect to a Wi-Fi network and work.
If so, go to the camera's Device Settings>Device Info page, tap the Wi-Fi icon, and check if the RSSI value is good(more than -50dBm).
How about your network diagram, how far is between the camera and the router, or between the camera and the nearby AP?
Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply.
The WiFi quality was the first way I followed. That's why, to definitely eliminate this risk, I setup a dedicated accesspoint just near the cameras. Cameras are less than 2 meters from the AP, and there is no wall between them, just a simple window.

I tried several times to restart the cameras (I'm working on the issue since 2 days :/( ) , expecting it would be OK. But each time the connection is lost (more or less) 30s after the restart. It's difficult to access the camera parameters between this time. In the app, when they switch from "offline" to "OK", I just have the time to go in the configuration menu, the configuration menu is displayed, and just after that few seconds, the connection is lost.

But the AccessPoint shows the connection quality (in term of number of lines displayed on the WiFi logo). As you can see in the screenshot, connection is OK.

I just retried (one more time) 2 hours ago to restart the cameras. I saw that the connection quality, after being great just after the restart drops on a low level (just 1 bar displayed on the AP WiFi logo) just before the connection is lost. I don"t know if the connection quality really drops down, or of it's just the refresh time of the display that act in this ways and shows just one bar, but in reality the connection is already lost at this time

Options
3 weeks ago

@TheYoda 

Hi,
Is the Archer AX55 the access point, or is it the wireless router and another access point connects to it and near the camera? 
If the Archer AX55 is the wireless router, your camera is connected to the router's Wi-Fi rather than the nearby AP, and it may be why it loses connection soon after powering on.
Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee The archer AX55 is configured as access point and is the access point near the cameras.

Options
3 weeks ago

@TheYoda 

Hi,
If the AP(AX55) and wireless router have the same SSID, please try the following steps and check if they will help.
    1. Log in to the AP's web UI to change the 2.4G SSID different from the wireless router.
    2. Unmount a camera from the outside location, put it close to the AP, factory reset it, and reconfigure it.
    3. Test if the camera will work fine for 30 minutes. If yes, mount it again and check if it will work fine.

Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Hi,

SSIDs are different. The SSID on the AX55 is unique, only for these two cameras.
Today I tested the link quality from AX55 to internet (I connected a smartphone by Wifi to the AX55). I did 10 speedtests during the day at different moments. The worst results were a little bit over 20Mbits/s (in both directions)

The physical unmount (I did it once with the same results) isn't easy to do. I have to rent a bucket truck to get access to the cameras. Unfortunatly, I tried after a facotry reset, tested (too quickly:/ ) the connection and it was OK. So I mounted both cameras expecting result would be OK.

If there is not other way to follow, I will have to rent the truck :/

Options
2 weeks ago

@TheYoda 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago
Hi, Email arrived. Thanks a lot.
Options
2 weeks ago

@TheYoda You are welcome~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0