320WS V2 keeps losing connection

2024-08-06 16:41:08
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.15

Bought a pair of these as was happy with the V1 camera i already had, the V2 seems to have constant issues with losing connection to the app and also to Synology surveillance station on my home NAS, used to keep the recordings for a few months.

The only quick fix is disconnecting then reconnecting the power which is not much use ifyour not home and defeats the object of having security canmeras (to reecord or capture images/video when your away from home).

The support seems pretty useless as they do not seem to read the initial issue or replies and the questions they ask seem rather pointless.

I am quite a technical person and have tried some fixes myself but when one of the cameras is in the same room as the router as it has not yet been installed outside and is approximately 12 -14 foot away and in direct sight/line with router why this should happen. I know that the recent update for the camera was to address this issue amongst others but it has obviously not fixed the connection issue.

Options
5 Reply
Re:320WS V2 keeps losing connection
2024-08-06 16:50:15
just had a quick check after one of them yet again lost connection and it has still recorded on the SD card so pointing more towards the firmware as previously thought however not much use as I purchased these as to record to NAS to be able to flick through recordings quickly like a proper CCTV system.
Options
2024-08-07 09:47:57

@Boneytoal 

Hi,
Usually, you can refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot if the camera has an unstable issue.
What should I do if my Tapo smart devices keep losing connection or going offline?

Please help confirm the following information for the reported issue.
    1. What's the LED status on the camera when the problem happens?

2. When the camera is working, please go to its Device Settings>Device Info page, tap the Wi-Fi icon, and send me the RSSI value.

3. What's the model number of your router? If you have enabled the features, such as Smart Connect, on your router, or if your router's 2.4G and 5G have the same Wi-Fi name, try to disable the feature or change the 2.4G Wi-Fi name and check if it helps.

4. How often does the issue occur?

Best Regards

Options
2024-08-07 12:27:38

Camera LEDs are turned off in app

front cam in same room as Router -56 (RSSI)

Side Cam -37 (RSSI)

Router is Virgin Media Smart Hub 3.0

Tried setting channel for 2.4ghz to manual (`11) but this made things worse so set back to Auto

all other Wi Fi devices moved to guest Network and Cameras and Smart Home Devices on Main network (issue still remained yesterday after this change)

Now set all cameras to have static IP and reserved these in Router and cameras reset manually

no set time for how frequently this happens, can be a day or two, a few days or a week or so

Options
2024-08-22 09:28:01

@Boneytoal 

Hi,
1. You can go to the Tapo app>camera's Device Settings>Reboot Camera page to enable the Auto Reboot feature and check if it helps.

2. If the problem remains:
1) Try to disconnect the camera from the NAS, and then check if the camera will work stable.
2) Collect the camera log if the problem remains.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

Best Regards

Options
2024-08-22 14:21:32
Thanks for the info, Already have them rebooting each morning and the NAS is not the issue or affecting anything the app loses connection well before the NAS does and it takes quite a while after for the NAS to lose complete connection to them and occasionally this connection stays connected. I have also set them to diagnostics on and sent the logs via feedback. Still happening very sporadicly and sometime losing connection and reconnecting for 30 mins or longer sometimes. There seem to be quite a few issues with this for different model cameras as well. Regards Tony
Options