Sick of bulbs not connecting

2024-08-12 10:55:19 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo L530B  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Getting real fed up of this.

So I bought a bulb that required the Kasa App, then it got moved to the Tapo App. As soon as I was told to transfer it to the Tapo App, it died. It had been problematic since I got it, frequently disconnecting and needing a full restart and reinstall to get it working. But now, just dead and won't connect at all no matter how many attempts I make.

So I got a new bulb. Installed it. Failed. Installed again and it worked. For 6 days. Then just disconnected. So I needed to restart, reinstall. It worked. 4 days later, disconnected again. So I can't use Alexa with it, but not even the app connects, so it's just an overpriced bulb with no control. Reinstall, after about 15 tries, it works.

Next fricking day, it's dead again. No app, no Alexa, nothing.

Anytime I try and connect it, it enters set up, and then fails at pairing. I've been trying to get it connected for 2 days now. I've got full signal in the room, made it's own 2.4ghz network just for the bulbs anything other than smart devices is on 5ghz, so the networks not crowded. I've reset the router, which screwed up loads of other bulbs which I reconnected and it took all of 10 seconds, including a set of 3 bulbs that cost less than this single bulb.

I try to connect, and again. Nothing. It gets to pairing and just fails, every time. Then it gives you a button to press for help, which is useless cause it either never loads the help request, or you send a help request message and get no reply.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix this? Because right now, I'm just considering binning off TPLink products from any future purchases as they seem ridiculously unreliable.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sick of bulbs not connecting -Solution
2024-08-16 02:54:04 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Mafiacub 

Check the suggestions here about What should I do if I fail to configure the Tapo smart bulb? 

What's the model of your router? Please share your network topology if you own a big/complex network.

You may try to enable a 2.4GHz guest WiFi or a hotspot and connect the Tapo L530, see if that makes any difference.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Sick of bulbs not connecting -Solution
2024-08-16 02:54:04 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Mafiacub 

Check the suggestions here about What should I do if I fail to configure the Tapo smart bulb? 

What's the model of your router? Please share your network topology if you own a big/complex network.

You may try to enable a 2.4GHz guest WiFi or a hotspot and connect the Tapo L530, see if that makes any difference.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options