C110 Low Quality Video

C110 Low Quality Video
C110 Low Quality Video
a week ago
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.3.14

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please help me? I've recently added a C110 to my group of C100 Tapo cameras, and the video quality is very low compared to the C100's. The C100's are HD (1920x1080) and the C110 is 2K. A C100 in the same room has much a much better image quality than the C110. The quality is low when recording to an SD card as well in the app, so I believe it is either a faulty camera or a setting issue.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Options
12 Reply
Re:C110 Low Quality Video
a week ago

@Byrd1 I presume you've gone into the settings (via the app) for the camera and selected 2K as the resolution? When I got the C210 I found it defaulted to 1080p & had to specifically choose 2K. 

Options
a week ago

@Byrd1 

Hi,
In addition to checking the video quality settings on the camera's Device Settings > Video & Display > Video Quality page, please also confirm how many devices are viewing the C110 at the same time. If multiple devices are viewing at the same time, some devices may use low resolution. In this case, you can try restarting the camera C110 and viewing the camera on only one device.
Best Regards

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@MattC_UK yes, I thought it would probably be that simple too, but it was set to 2K. I tried charging the resolution but the quality is the same on any setting (just a higher resolution, so the squares are bigger!). The quality is the same on the SD card recordings, so I don't think it's a WiFi issue. A C100 running at 720p is roughly twice as good quality when I put it next to it.

Any other ideas? I think I probably just have to send it back and swap it for another.

Thanks

Options
Friday

@Byrd1 

Hi,
You can try the suggestion here. If the problem remains and you are willing to continue to troubleshoot, please put the Tapo C100 and C110 in the same place > set them to use the highest resolution > capture the picture on the camera's live view page > send me the pictures to have a check.
Best Regards

Options
Saturday

@Solla-topee Hi, thanks for the reply. I've only got the app one one phone so there can only ever be one device watching. The video quality setting is set to 2K. The SD card recordings are also the same very low quality, so I don't think it's an issue with WiFi. Thanks.

Options
Saturday

@Solla-topee Thanks, I've moved the HD cameras now but I'll try and move one back and do a screenshot, but as I said, the SD recordings are the same low quality so I don't think it's related to the quality of the network. I feel like it's some sort of video compression that has been activated (or the lens on the C110 is much worse than the C100, or the one I have is broken). I'll try and post back asap. Thanks.

Options
Saturday - last edited Saturday

@Solla-topee Hi again. I've attached a couple of tests. The first is the C110  (Hardware version 2.0) running at 2K (2304x1296) and the second is the C100 (hardware v4.0) at 1080p (so I suppose 1920x1080).

In both cases, I've zoomed in as far as possible to see a piece of paper with some writing and boxes on. As you can see, the C100 is much clearer and defined.

Thanks.

C110 2K

C100 1080P

Options
Tuesday

@Solla-topee Hi again, just wondered if you'd had time to look at the images? Thanks.

Options
Yesterday

@Byrd1 

Hi,
Thank you for your cooperation and testing, but such a comparison is hard to identify that there is a problem with Tapo C110. It is recommended to place C110 and C100 in the same position, monitor the same scene, without zooming in the lens, and then take a screenshot of the camera's live view page and share it here.
Best Regards

Options
Yesterday

@Solla-topee Hi, thanks for the reply. Are you sure that's needed? The zoomed-in images I have shown show the difference in quality much more than a zoomed-out shot will.

I just want to know if there's a way to control the quality of the recording (other than the resolution), which I suppose is the video compression. If there is no way to do that, then either the C110 I have is broken, or it has a lower-quality lens than the C100, or the compression is set much higher. I suspect that it's the latter, and the programmers have compressed the video to the point where it isn't usuable.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 132

Replies: 12

Related Articles