C520WS bad people tracking behaviour

2024-07-30 18:24:51
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 240606 rel.39146n

Hello all,

I want to ask about a behavior of my surveillance camera, a Tapo C520WS.  First of all, I replaced a more basic C500 with this to have a better image quality first, and then I saw that this model has some other upgrades too, like a smoother, quieter motion and a better number of features. 

BUT I saw that this camera does something that I don't like, I don't know if it is a problem or just the way the software logic operates. 

Basically, seems that when it "locks" on a person doing something, and begin tracking of the subject (a feature that I really, really like) after a too much short while, it resets to it's "stable" position it had before the tracking.

This is NOT GOOD for me: I want control of how the camera decides to go back to it's "default" position: in my needs, I want the camera to always track a person detected until the person goes off the screen or reasonably is not present in view anymore. 

I explain the practical event happened to me: I had an old person come near the front doors of my building, she was getting back home; the camera starts tracking her as it should. Then this person, very slowly (due to her old body and some leg issues), moved to my front door, slowly but moving, so not stopping: the camera still was tracking her even if she was directly below the camera.

This old person was about to go near some vases and pick some flowers/herbs, (note: I know that because she sometimes does things sneaking behind my knowing and wanted the camera to catch that as well) and then, with this person still moving, the camera decided to go up and return to it's "normal" standing position.

SO FRUSTRATING!! I was seconds away to catch on camera what I needed to record, and that stupid thing returned to normal position.

This is really bad I think: if the camera's logic and software is advanced enough to dectect person, cars and animal shapes, track it, and even tag it with a rectangular frame to highlight them, WHY DOES IT DECIDE TO GIVE UP ON TRACKING, especially with that person shape that was still moving! 

Is there a way to solve this behaviour? I already set the sensitivity to 10 to everything, but honestly, I saw this even when I am personally in it's detection range doing small things, like some garden work, small things around the car, etc. After a short while the camera stops tracking me and return to it's position, even if I am obviously a persond doing *something* in it's dectection range..

Sorry for the long post, hope I can find a solution.  

Options
3 Reply
Re:C520WS bad people tracking behaviour
2024-07-30 18:27:31

On a side note I forgot, the older, simpler C500 camera seemed to not do this. I had the C500 for too little to be honest ( i replaced it in a few days with the "better" c520 ) but I honestly remember the C500 to track everyone that showed up to its view range all the time until the person left the view area.

I don't know why this C520 seems worse in this regard.

Options
2024-08-01 06:27:02

@EmTag_1 

Which tracking mode is your camera set to? Track All, Person, or Motion Tracking?

Do you have any video? Please share it with me through PM, we'll help to check it.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-08-01 15:04:22

@Wayne-TP 

Hello,

The camera is set to track specific action > Person and Domestic Animals

This is how I set the camera since I have a road ahead of my house to avoid to continuosly track passing vehicles.

I will provide in the PM video with detailed commentary, but basically I feel that there's the need for a setting for regulating the tracking time, like track for X time or until the subject is out of view/reach, but that's just my suggestion.

Options