Accessing server via public IP yields error message

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-16 02:17:10 - last edited 2019-12-16 02:20:49
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20171215

I'm trying to set up a computer connected via Ethernet cable to my router as a server, accessible from the public Internet.

I've used the TP-Link admin panel to reserve a specific (local) IP address for the server. I'm also using a utility called ddclient to fetch the server's public IP address and update my DNS records.

Here's my issue: When I try to visit my server's public IP address from within my home network, I get this error message in the browser:

Rejected request from RFC1918 IP to public server address

If I try to access the server via the local IP, it works. It's only the public IP that isn't working.

Is there a setting on my router that I need to configure so that I no longer get this "Rejected request" error?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Accessing server via public IP yields error message
2019-12-16 04:31:54
I figured it out! I added some records under the NAT Forwarding/Virtual Servers section of my router's admin panel, directing external port 80 to internal port 80 over TCP, and same for port 443.
Options
2020-02-25 20:16:10

@EssDub Hi there. I have the same problem, could you please explain me in details how did you fix it ? I have recently found some really good rental servers, which are very stable, but I have some problems with my router, and I am not able to do anything with it. I am sure that the problem is not on the server, because I am using a really good hosting, so any lags are excluded.It has the best equipment and price on the market. It should be something related to the router, but I don't know how to enter the settings.

Options
2020-03-30 14:12:51

goliaph wrote

@EssDub Hi there. I have the same problem, could you please explain me in details how did you fix it ? I have recently found some really good rental servers, which are very stable, but I have some problems with my router, and I am not able to do anything with it. I am sure that the problem is not on the server, because I am using a really good hosting, so any lags are excluded.It has the best equipment and price on the market. It should be something related to the router, but I don't know how to enter the settings.

@goliaph If you are having trouble accessing GTHost's server, it must have to do with the settings on the server-side. You should contact their nice customer support and ask "how can I access a nicely hosted server". Since you are paying for their service, accessing the server is part of the price you've already paid.

Router settings are only relevant when one is hosting "home servers" that are connected **behind** the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4138

Replies: 3