Deco P9 password not recognised by devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-22 16:27:46 - last edited 2019-12-31 12:28:04
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, new user here - managed to set up newtork of 3 P9 decos successfully - first is ethernet connected to existing Plusnet modem/router.  The other 2 are plugged in around the house and are successfully linked to each other with steady white LEDs.

My Android phone has successfully logged in to the new network and getting brilliant Wifi throughout the house, but none of our other devices will connect.  They all recognise the new Deco network and show a very strong signal, but when I try to connect, the password is not recognised.  (Old Android phone, new Android phone, Microsoft Surface laptop, Older HP Laptop, Sony Bravia TV, and HP Desktop - none of them can connect.)

I've checked the password on the Deco App on my phone, and it is definitely the one I am trying to use.

I've checked that Fast Roaming is disabled (as recommended for older devices)

I've tried switching off the WiFi on my existing router but that doesn't help.

I've tried changing the Deco to an Access Point instead of a Router but that doesn't help.

Maybe there is a way to change the master password and try again, or reset the whole system?

Any suggestions welcome please, as this is very frustrating indeed!

Thanks, Helen

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 password not recognised by devices-Solution
2019-12-31 12:27:48 - last edited 2019-12-31 12:28:04

Carl wrote

@PurpleH 

Let me ask you this.  The SSID and Password for the wireless network on the P9s.  Is it the same as you used on your previous device?

@Carl no, I used a fresh name and password - but it has finally been solved by the helpdesk. 

Apparently the problem was I'd used a "special character", in this case an exclamation mark, in my password.  It seems the system can't cope with that (athough I can see nothing to warn you in the instructions).  Once I changed the password to just numbers and letters everything worked fine.

Given that these days we are told to make passwords as complex and unique as possible this seems rather backward, but at least it solved the mystery and might help others.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 password not recognised by devices
2019-12-31 01:22:39

@PurpleH 

Let me ask you this.  The SSID and Password for the wireless network on the P9s.  Is it the same as you used on your previous device?

Options
Re:Deco P9 password not recognised by devices-Solution
2019-12-31 12:27:48 - last edited 2019-12-31 12:28:04

Carl wrote

@PurpleH 

@Carl no, I used a fresh name and password - but it has finally been solved by the helpdesk. 

Apparently the problem was I'd used a "special character", in this case an exclamation mark, in my password.  It seems the system can't cope with that (athough I can see nothing to warn you in the instructions).  Once I changed the password to just numbers and letters everything worked fine.

Given that these days we are told to make passwords as complex and unique as possible this seems rather backward, but at least it solved the mystery and might help others.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1558

Replies: 2