Deco P9 To few ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 To few ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P9 To few ports
Deco P9 To few ports
2021-12-23 20:56:15
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a set with 3 Deco P9's.  I would like to replace my current modem and use these instead, but I ran into a bit of an issue.

My current router has 2 ports for regular ethernet and 2 ethernet ports for television on a separate VLAN.  

I have read I can turn on IPTV on, on the deco P9 home station to connect my TV. But since i would use the other port to connect my WAN line, don't have any ports left to connect my switch to for my wired network. 

I was thinking of buying an extra set of Deco M5's since they have a WAN on top of the two ethernet ports. But i am wondering if the M5 is the main unit connected to the WAN, and I would connect a P9 using an ethernet cable would the P9 powerline backhaul function still work when connecting to the other P9 units.  Or does P9 unit has to be the main unit for powerline backhaul to work?

Or is there another solution or product I am overlooking?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 To few ports
2021-12-24 01:50:11

@Jerry_F 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Before recommending other products, I do have something that needs your help first.

I used to see the feedback that when the Ethernet ports and IPTV ports are separated on the main router, you might not be able to use a Mesh router to extender the internet service as well as IPTV service.

For your case, if the P9 is connected to one of the regular Ethernet ports of the main router, the only data coming in is the internet data and no IPTV packets will be received, so even though you enable IPTV on the P9 and connect the STB box to the other port, the IPTV would not work.

So have you ever checked if one port on P9 is to the regular Ethernet of the main router, the other port with IPTV enabled to the STB box, will the IPTV service work?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Deco P9 To few ports
2021-12-26 10:20:51

@TP-Link 

Sure i want to help. I connected a main p9 behind my main router in the hallway. Then i enabled iptv using the settings provided by my internet/tv provider. 

Result no tv.  Hope this answers your question

then i tried replace my main router with the P9 and i found out there is a spf module in my main router. So i can't check if iptv works with the P9. Sorry.

Now, i put the p9's in AP mode and they work fine. 

So my original question is no longer relevant for me. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 428

Replies: 2

Related Articles