Archer A7 Tether App wifi Analyzer Oddities

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-29 14:21:09
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20191203 rel.56070(5553)

Just purchased and connected Archer A7 from Amazon. Have been using an Archer A5 until now. I've noticed some odd differences in how they work with the Tether App. A5 when customizing the client icons has a good number of icons to choose from, nice. However when setting up the same devices in Tether on the A7 there are fewer than half the device icons to choose from. Seems odd that the icon list is different for each router. Is this intentional?

Both the A5 and A7 do not show the complete list of connected devices either on the app or on their web interfaces. I can refresh and the list of devices changes with each refresh. This seems odd to me since many of my devices are connected via Ethernet; 2 fire sticks, 1 Chromecast, 1 solar monitoring station, 1 smart TV. They may or may not show in the connected devices list even when actively streaming content. There is a similar issue with wireless devices? Are the routers incapable of showing over X number of connected devices?

I've been using WiFi analyzer to help me evaluate location of my routers. I'm using the A7 as my main (downstairs) because "supposedly" it has better features than the A5; i.e. ifttt support. The A5 is in access point mode (upstairs) and connected via Ethernet to the A7. I have each router setup with the same SSID and PW for wifi but each is set to a different channel to minimize interference. Weird thing is analyzer is showing a hidden SSID on the A7 channel and the live ssid. I have verified that I have not selected hidden SSID for either frequency on the A7. I'm pretty sure this is related to the A7 as the hidden SSID goes away when I power down the A7. Any idea what this mystery SSID is?

This setup is working fairly well but these questions nag at me. Any thoughts?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer A7 Tether App wifi Analyzer Oddities
2020-03-03 16:41:07

@KCBURK 

Regarding the differences in the A5 or A7, I would recommending following up with our suppot agents who would be able to dive deeper into that.

With respect to the A7, the hiddne SSID is actually the network for the OneMesh network. This is a network that is password protected so only another TP-Link OneMesh device would communicate to that network, nothing else.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 857

Replies: 1