Deco P9 won't connect from garage to house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-15 14:11:29
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.10

I have 3 x Deco P9 and I wanted to place one of these into a garage approx 50 meters from the house which is just outside wifi range from the house. I moved one of the P9 devices to the garage and it just flashed red and I could not get an internet connection. It seems the powerline functionality is not working - is this because they could be on separate circuits?

I need wifi in the garge to enable monitoring on my solar panels, so I don't need huge bandwidth. I do have a single unused ethernet cable running to the garage, but it is not terminated near my internet modem.

What options are open to me?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P9 won't connect from garage to house
2020-06-16 19:23:58 - last edited 2020-06-16 19:25:09

@Alan.Buckley 

If the garage and house have different electrical panels then the powerline signal will not see each other. 

You will need a wired connection since the wireless signal will not reach.

With a crimper, you can look at terminating the Ethernet cable.

Options
2020-06-16 19:44:17

@Tony What do you mean by separate electrical panels? The garage gets power from the house and there is a small electrical fuse board in the garage. Is this blocking the signal?

Tony wrote

@Alan.Buckley 

If the garage and house have different electrical panels then the powerline signal will not see each other. 

You will need a wired connection since the wireless signal will not reach.

With a crimper, you can look at terminating the Ethernet cable.

Options
2020-06-17 17:00:32

@Alan.Buckley 

If the garage leads to the house then that would be fine. However, the signal is still not able to reach, could be distance in this case. The P9 uses the HomePlug AV protocol which does a decent job going from one room to another. However, in instances where the distance may be too far, HomePlug AV2 devices would work better.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 938

Replies: 3