using power line adapter with vlans connected to a managed switch and pfsense

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-23 10:52:44
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

hello all

I have been using tp link powerline adapters for sevewral year and all is functioning correctly. on 192.168.1.1

however with the additional IOT components in my house and the requirement for additional security, I will be implementing pfsense for my home environment.

my question to you all is:

if i connect the powerline to a dedicated port on the managed switch (in the loft), and in an other room (call it the living room) i would connect the powerline to a switch and to that switch i would connect one port  to  an AP, 1 port to an HTPC and 1 port to a TV. The AP, the HTPC and the TV are currently on the same network with static IP addresses. I would like to move the tv to an IOT Vlan and the WIFI to a seperate wifi Vlan

the AP will have a Home SSID and a guest ssid

would i be able to read from which  IP address or ssid is comming request for access ? 

If so, will this information be passed on to the powerline adapter in the the loft and the to a managed port on the main switch?

If so i could implement firewall rules to iether grant block or refuse the connection?

If not with the several years old poweline adapters, would ther be powerline adapter that do?  

If so which model would they be?

Thank you in advance for responding to this post

Options
5 Reply
Re:using power line adapter with vlans connected to a managed switch and pfsense
2020-06-23 22:28:05

@unclebil 

If the powerline adapters are wired only, then they will do not a thing but relay the connection or act as a glorified Ethernet cable.

So as you have AP units on either side, the powerline adapter should not filter any tagged packets.

Options
Re:using power line adapter with vlans connected to a managed switch and pfsense
2020-07-18 09:51:23

@To

Hi Thank you for your reply @tony

i understand what you are saying. I am by no means a network savvy individual.

sorry for the long delay. I finally installed a simple OPNsense solution for my house 

I attached a pdf to show what i intend to develop. A picture is worth 1000 words they say. and hopfully this will make simpler for me to explain what i need

I will need to purchase 

1 24 port managed switch to which i will connect the opnsense

Here i will have untagged ports to connect my servers

and 2 valns assigned to one port now called trunk

to this trunk port i will connect a powerline and l other powerlines in the house will be pairred to this one

in some rooms i will have the local pc connected directly to the local powerline.

in 2 rooms the local powerline will be connected to 2 8 port smart swtch

vlans will be assiened specific port on these switches and all other ports will be untagged

in these rooms i will have devices connected  to bothe untagged and tagged ports

My question is will the powerline carry both valn and untagged information to the main switch?

thank you

File:
my network.pdfDownload
Options
2020-07-22 21:54:23

@unclebil 

I confirmed with one of the powerline adapter engineers that yes, the powerline will carry both tagged and untagged information.

I would recommend any powerline adapter that uses HomePlug AV2 (link) as it does a better job sending the signal through the electrical wiring compared to HomePlug AV adapters.

Options
2020-07-23 04:18:33

@Tony 

Thank you Tony for your reply and confiormation. This is the information i required thank you again

Options
2021-10-07 13:47:34

@unclebil @tony

This is something similar I am looking for in my lab setup.   I wanted to use a power line adapter to carry VLAN's coming from the router to the mange switch, that connects devices I expect to configure on different VLAN's

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7773

Replies: 5