adding mesh to existing router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 18:59:49
Model: Archer C1900  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Is it possible to add mesh to an existing router by purchasing another box? I exoerienced issues earlier using an old TP-LINK range extender. I have some dead/slow spots in my house. The modem is at one end of my house and the C1900 router was moved to the middle of the house for better coverage.

My lake house has an Archer C9 router and also suffers from dead spots. In that case the modem and router are in my basement at the house wiring center.

Thanks,

Bruce McLaren

Options
3 Reply
Re:adding mesh to existing router?
2020-08-12 13:09:34
Some of the TP Link routers offer One Mesh which allows you to make a Mesh system with multiple routers. See https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/. Although I do not currently have a Mesh system, if I needed to replace my Archer C8 and RE220 extender today, I would replace it with a Mesh system like the Deco M9 instead of using One Mesh routers. My current setup is working fine for me. Router and Extender placement make a big difference as moving my router about three feet extended coverage of the 5 GHz WIFI into a back bedroom. Place the extender closer to the router than the dead spot.
Options
2020-08-12 14:56:49

@ArcherC8  Thanks for the tip. Do you name your range extender with a different SSID than the router? I have an old TP-LINK N300 RE and it works for a while then stalls, so I have to power cycle it. Your experience? Perhaps a current range extender would do the trick.  I have two houses with TP-LINK routers and each with 5.0 dead spots. 

Thanks for your help. 

Options
2020-08-12 15:50:12
I use a different SSID names on the extender (my SSID with a suffix of .ext). I set it up using one band as a backhaul as the devices can handle either band. Only on very rare case have I needed to reboot the extender and as I recall it was after a power outage. Then, I power cycled the modem, router, extender, and PCs. I did not need to power cycle anything during last power outage last week. The extender is slower in speed because of the just the way it works. Most devices are things like iPads and laptops that I need the extended range. I placed the extender almost in sight of the router and let it handle getting to the dead area as I wanted the signal to/from the router and extender to be strong as possible. 2.4 GHz is better for distance and 5 GHz is better for speed. Turning the router, adjusting the antennas, even small moves in different direction or height makes a difference. On the router, channel selection and band width can also help as there are so many other things using the same bands that can cause interference.
Options