Internet Status Unknown RE220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 14:25:37
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20190924 Rel. 45508

Recently purchased and installed a new RE220.  It is connected to a Archer AX50 v1.0, 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037.  I have a White List of devices under Security.  The RE220 MAC address was added and I can see it in the Wireless Clients list.  Everything seemed to go correctly.  When I check the Status of the RE220, Internet Status is Unknown.  When I attempt to check for a Firmware Upgrade I receive a message "Unable to check for upgrade.  Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again.".  The Current Time under Time Settings never updates to the correct time and date.  Most of the time I can connect with my laptop to my EXT WiFi network connections, both 2.4 and 5, and access the internet and various websites.  But it is not consistent.  Is there something thing that I am missing?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Internet Status Unknown RE220
2020-09-09 18:08:34

@Mr_O 

Devices connecting through the RE220 will have a different MAC address so if you are working off a whitelist that may be an issue. You can determine what the new MAC address belongs to by referencing the first half as that will be the same, the second half is what should change.

Options
2020-09-10 03:05:03

@Tony 

Tonight I'm a lot closer.  I discovered that the MAC address on the RE220 sticker and the address that shows on a IP Scanner were not the same.  When I changed the White List address on the AX50 the Internet Status changed from Unknown to Connected.  The Network connection is properly set, the date and time have been properly set and firmware verified as Up-To-Date.  When I connect my MacBook Pro thru the EXT WiFi connections there are still a few webpages that will not open and some of my email acccounts will not open.  At this point it is not a big deal.

Options
2020-09-24 03:18:07

@Mr_O I ended up returning the RE220.  I mainly wanted it as a signal booster for my Ring Doorbell.  I was never able to connect.  I stood next to the doorbell and was able to connect other devices, strong signal.  The RE220 was returned to Amazon.

Options
2021-02-03 16:14:18

@Tony 

I am having a similar issue. My network is set up on a TP Link Archer 1750 with MAC address filtering. I purchased the TP Link RE220 to address a dead zone in my home. When I installed my RE220, it would not connect without disabling the ACL. Information on the internet suggested that you can set it up without ACL and then switch it on after set up. This I did, but while the ACL works through the Archer and the RE450 which addresses another dead zone, it fails to work through the RE220.

You stated the RE220 changes the MAC address, but you failed to explain exactly how we are to decipher what the new MAC address is which is passed to the network.

My question is this... If I have a TP Link product which extends the network of another TP Link product, why does it not work seamlessly with ACL? How am I to make it work when you do not provide information readily available to make it work?

Options
2021-02-04 23:18:46

@oldmixon 

Only the first half of the MAC address is of the original device, the second half is changed so you need to note that and modify your ACL to reflect the spoofed MAC addresses coming from the extender.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1127

Replies: 5

Related Articles