If Parental Controls can see website access in History, shouldn't it be able to block it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

If Parental Controls can see website access in History, shouldn't it be able to block it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-14 21:16:57
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20210205 rel.12759(5553)

I am trying to block access to Minecraft on my son's Windows PC. On this platform Minecraft is actually a standalone Java application, so TP-LINK support says there is no way to block it. 

However, if I go to my son's Parental Controls profile, then look under Insights and then History, I can see that the Java app is making various requests to servers/websites, such as launchermeta.mojang.com, api.minecraftservices.com, etc. Still in the History window, I can click on a specific website to block it. However, I can see that this does NOT cripple Minecraft, and in fact even if I explicitly block a specific website, such as api.minecraftservices.com, I can see that the block is active, yet I can also see in the History that new accesses to that website are happening. So the blocked website is actually NOT being blocked. 

Now I can understand that the Minecraft Java app probably will do its best to hide websites, specifically so that parental control software cannot block it. But what I don't understand is that somehow the TP-LINK firmware IS able to see access to these websites, because it clearly shows up in the History list. But then for some reason the blocking of that website doesn't work. If the firmware can somehow see the website access, should it not also be able to block those requests? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:If Parental Controls can see website access in History, shouldn't it be able to block it?
2021-04-19 17:43:41

@Rgrindl 

When setting up the parental control filters, you should be able to filter out Minecraft services:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 1

Related Articles