Access Point mode throttles Wi-Fi to 30mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-26 22:42:48
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200416 rel.72485(5553)

I have 1Gbps up/down from my ISP. I get very nearly this throughput on my PC which is wired via CAT6 through two Archer A9 routers. The first of these is in my basement and connects to my fiber. The second connects to the first via CAT6 and is on my main floor. Both are configured with Wi-Fi so I can get it throughout the house.

For a long time I had both configured as routers, which meant setting up NAT forwarding for example was particularly complex as I had to forward through both of them. But Wi-Fi speeds were good (~500Mbps) throughout the house. Then I discovered how much simpler my network administration could be by switching my second router to Access Point mode. NAT forwarding is so easy! But...

I eventually figured out why every device throughout my house (unless it was in the basement, near my first router) was now maxing out at 30mbps. It's Access Point mode on the second router. I just reconfigured it as a Router and voila! I'm getting 500mbps on WiFi upstairs again. But alas, now my NAT configuration is harder.

Why does tp-link's Access Point mode make all Wi-Fi going through that device so slow?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Access Point mode throttles Wi-Fi to 30mbps
2021-09-27 07:15:47

@AArnott 

How did you configure the 2nd Archer A9 to access point mode?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1384/

Case 1 or 2? Try the other case, then confirm if the slow speed persists when the 2nd A9 is in access point mode.

Options
2021-10-03 22:32:05
I had taken Case 1. I just tried Case 2 but its condition does not apply to me, and I can't follow the directions because it claims the 2nd router's Internet IP address and the LAN IP address cannot be in the same subnet. The second router shouldn't even have distinct IP addresses for both Internet and LAN if it's just to act as an access point.
Options
2021-10-03 23:00:31

@Kevin_Z Interestingly, I botched router 2 so bad in trying case 2 that I had to factory reset it. In doing so I once again chose router over access point because that's what worked in the past at high speed. But then after setting that up, I thought I would try access point mode (case 1) one more time. This time, it worked and did not slow down the wifi. So... yay.

Options
2021-10-08 07:43:06

@AArnott 

That sounds great.laugh

Options
2021-11-08 23:52:24

I'm afraid it was short-lived. My test was on a device that had evidently connected to the 1st router. Once it reconnected to the second router, speeds crawled to 30mbps again. So once again, I'm forced into NAT with two subnets in order to get decent wifi speeds on the second router. :(

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 861

Replies: 5

Related Articles