AX3000 detecting my blink camera as a Ring Video Doorbell

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-03 21:47:46
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just got this ax3000 router and within the first 12 hours I got a notification that a Ring Video Doorbell joined my network. I have a Blink Camera system with 2 cameras and both connect to a synch module which is connected to the router all the time. When one of the cameras was triggered by motion, that is when I got the notification.

I called support and they wanted me to reinstall software, reset passwords, verify my mac addresses on devices etc.

I even asked early on "Is it possible that one of my blink cams is being detected as a Ring Video Doorbell?" and the rep pretty much just ignored that and kept pushing me to do this other stuff.

The router has no connection logging, which would have helped in tracking this down.

The notification has no ip address or mac address. So because the device was no longer active, I couldn't find that information to match it to my devices.

I had to do my own troubleshooting by forcing the camera to activate and then i was able to tap on the notification and it showed that it was indeed my blink cam, not someone elses ring video doorbell (there is a neighbor two houses down that has one).

Support was so unhelpful and seemed like they were completely ok with letting our chat end with it unclear if someone had somehow stole our wifi password in a matter of hours since I got it. Had me feeling like the router must not be all that secure if that was possible. 

Confirmed -- my blink camera is detected as a Ring Video Doorbell and ONLY says that inthe notification for joining the network. In the clients list it says "Blink-DHCP", which is correct but the deceptive notification had me thinking it was a neighbor's device.

Horrible support. My request is to have connection logging option and to have clients list match notifications. I also believe that the clients list in the tether app don't match the browser based admin page. On one I saw the custom device name and the other I saw "Chromecast" as opposed to the device name. They shoudl be consistent.

Options