How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

56 Reply
Re:Routers Supporting VPN Client
2022-04-06 18:14:31

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I am testing the Beta build of the VPN client.  I am currently using an IPVanish OVPN configuration which appears to work.  My question is how do I test to see if the IP is indeed linked back to the VPN provider?  I can run (whats_my_ip) but it returns the address of my modem (ATT combo router/modem).

Also, I have Two Factor Authentication on my Nord account.  I am having trouble connecting my NordOVPN configuration.  Will I have to disable 2FA to allow it to connect?

Thanks.

Options
2022-04-08 03:32:12

@f14bdriver 

f14bdriver wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I am testing the Beta build of the VPN client.  I am currently using an IPVanish OVPN configuration which appears to work.  My question is how do I test to see if the IP is indeed linked back to the VPN provider?  I can run (whats_my_ip) but it returns the address of my modem (ATT combo router/modem).

Kevin_Z: You can check the IP information by click the ? besides the VPN connection status.

Also, I have Two Factor Authentication on my Nord account.  I am having trouble connecting my NordOVPN configuration.  Will I have to disable 2FA to allow it to connect?

Kevin_Z: Can you confirm how did you configure to connect to the Nord VPN server on the AX11000? If possible, I would like to have the vpn config file to be emailed to support.forum@tp-link.com, then we can ask the support engineers to further analyze it. You can email the VPN Client settings on the AX11000 as well when trying to connect to the Nord VPN server.

Thanks.

Options
2022-04-08 05:04:48

@Kevin_Z

1) Enabled the VPN Client 2) click +Add server.  VPN Type+OpenVPN 3) Username:  email address 4) Password (entered).  5) Configuration File. *.OVPN.  Enable the Server and Add the Device (my laptop) and enable VPN access.  Ensured that the Mac Address listed corresponds to the laptop.

I have sent the configuration file to the email address you requested.

Options
2022-04-08 20:12:42

@Kevin_Z 

For Link Aggregation: Previously only 2 ports worked for it (Port 2/3), and just an enable option. That setting was for Static LAG only. LACP was not an option.

After update, it didn't automatically go back to Static LAG option and Port 2/3. It was enabled however didn't have type of connection, LA is avaiable for ports 1-4 now and you can select two ports. Selected Static LAG and saved and it resolved connection issue. Tried LACP and worked after adjusting setting on my Synology NAS.

Great update, just recommend that people get a pop-up if LA is enable to update settings after update or something, or default it to Static LAG if it was enabled. 

Also, the AX11000 Build 1.0 router it is flashing orange, no errors in logs, or connection issues. Is it because I'm running the beta firmware?

Options
2022-04-08 20:16:23
Didn't have issues with NordVPN with 2 factor enabled. The username and password is not your account password. If you go on the website there is another username/password you'll need to use that bypasses 2-factor and more secure. When you do steps 1-5, upload the .OPVN file, and click save. You'll have an option to enable it. When it connects, you'll see the IP and DNS for the VPN when you hover over the "i". Then enable the device and it should connect over the device.
Options
2022-04-09 21:09:57

@RandomDude 

Kudos @RandomDude for the information.  I did find the service credentials and pass and uploaded those.  They upload fine however when I go to enable it just sits at "connecting". I have no problems with two other VPN's I use.

Would there be an output file I could view to see what is going on with the connection?

Options
2022-04-10 13:27:14

@f14bdriver 

I Grabbed the configuration file from the NordVPN Server Tool. Can't post URL since it won't let me but just google NordVPN Server Tool and it'll be the first option from the official NordVPN site. 

Make sure when you set it up again, delete the old one first, just don't try to update the old configuration on the router. I'm not sure if you can have multiple clients active at the same time so disable the other VPN before adding first. 

Hope that work!

Options
2022-04-11 02:44:14

RandomDude wrote

@Kevin_Z 

For Link Aggregation: Previously only 2 ports worked for it (Port 2/3), and just an enable option. That setting was for Static LAG only. LACP was not an option.

After update, it didn't automatically go back to Static LAG option and Port 2/3. It was enabled however didn't have type of connection, LA is avaiable for ports 1-4 now and you can select two ports. Selected Static LAG and saved and it resolved connection issue. Tried LACP and worked after adjusting setting on my Synology NAS.

Great update, just recommend that people get a pop-up if LA is enable to update settings after update or something, or default it to Static LAG if it was enabled. 

Also, the AX11000 Build 1.0 router it is flashing orange, no errors in logs, or connection issues. Is it because I'm running the beta firmware?

@RandomDude Thank you again for your suggestions and detailed finding of the Link Aggregation setting, which would be optimized in the official version.

Regarding the flashing orange LED issue, I guess it would be also a small flaw in the beta firmware. Please allow me to confirm, is the LED always flashing orange while the internet is working just fine? Can I know who is your ISP?

Options
2022-04-11 02:47:58

f14bdriver wrote

@RandomDude 

Kudos @RandomDude for the information.  I did find the service credentials and pass and uploaded those.  They upload fine however when I go to enable it just sits at "connecting". I have no problems with two other VPN's I use.

Would there be an output file I could view to see what is going on with the connection?

@f14bdriver Please try the suggestions and advice given by RandomDude, you can also check if you can connect to the Nord VPN server on the PC directly when running an OpenVPN Connect software. If that fails, that means it is not an issue on the AX11000, but the Nord VPN server is not accepting the connection, you may need to check the settings on the client and ensure they match the requirements of the server.

Options
2022-04-12 23:36:34

@Kevin_Z Yes, it always flashing even though the internet is working fine. No errors noted on the logs either. Don't see any issues and that's without any VPN activated. 

I'm currently with ATT Fiber. 

Options
Related Articles