How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

59 Reply
Re:Routers Supporting VPN Client
2022-06-13 17:32:18

@Kevin_Z

Feature request: add support to WireGuard protocol to Archer AX73.

Would be wonderful if I can establish a VPN connection through WireGuard protocol (which uses less CPU than OpenVPN).

Options
2022-06-14 02:01:44

xthiago wrote

@Kevin_Z

Feature request: add support to WireGuard protocol to Archer AX73.

Would be wonderful if I can establish a VPN connection through WireGuard protocol (which uses less CPU than OpenVPN).

@xthiago Thank you for your suggestion. I do see similar feedback from other customers also, and I have already brought it forward to the related team to see if it would be technically feasible to support WireGuard in future updates to the platforms. Unfortunately, development across teams and projects in any organization is difficult, and nothing can be guaranteed. The best that I can say is that it is important to keep up to date with the latest firmware on the router. We would also publish here in the community forum to let you know if that is available.laugh

Options
2022-06-17 02:00:06

tarund wrote

@Kevin_Z My AX11000 randomly rebooted yesterday on the latest beta firmware available here. Where should I send the logs for the engineers to review? Thank you.

@tarund Can I confirm the symptom when it reboots? What is the LED status? How often does that happen? You may try restoring it to factory defaults and reconfiguring it to see if that would help. You can also send the logs via email to support.forum@tp-link.com.

Options
2022-08-20 21:33:29

@Kevin_Z Good afternoon, I see that the list of supported routers has been updated with the Archer AX11000 now showing fully implemented - however, when I go to check firmware, there is no update for the hardware version 1.0 router - only the version 1.6 router. Will VPN Client support be coming to the 1.0 hardware version?

Options
2022-08-20 23:47:20

@seventhcranial I installed it on my version 1.0. It seems like it works perfectly. I think they might have just marked it for 1.6 but it was for 1.0

Options
2022-08-24 02:31:54

@tarund 

The official firmware should have been released now, please check:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax11000/v1/#Firmware

Options
2022-08-24 11:35:49

@Kevin_Z Confirmed, downloaded and installed this morning. Now to play around.

I will note though that the router firmware check still said the router firmware was up-to-date; I downloaded the file from the support page linked and installed it and that went fine.

Options
2022-09-23 19:00:13

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, 

I just noticed on the AX11000 support page both the updated firmwares were removed. Any particular reason or is there an update coming out for correct any problems with it?

Options
2022-10-09 20:14:29

@Kevin_Z 

I have the AX11000 (V1) and I can see that it is supposed to support VPN client.  My firmware is 1.3.0  As it is now it does not support VPN client.

When I try to update the firmware, it tells me that there is no update and I have the latest firmware.

How can I update it?

Thanks

Uri

Options
2022-10-10 01:18:28

UriB wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I have the AX11000 (V1) and I can see that it is supposed to support VPN client.  My firmware is 1.3.0  As it is now it does not support VPN client.

When I try to update the firmware, it tells me that there is no update and I have the latest firmware.

How can I update it?

Thanks

Uri

@UriB I have replied to you in another thread, please check:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/201930?replyId=1129362

Options
Related Articles