Deco X60: Too may devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-03 01:02:00
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

Happy new year.

I have the DecoX60 3 nodes wifi network at home. One of them is the primary nodes and two are satellites. Xfinity is my ISP. I have about 20 KASA smart swtiches and dimmers and about 20 FEIT bulbs, all these devices join the wifi and do not support z-wave or zigbee. I also have other smart home devices such as cameras, garage openers, roomba etc etc. Lately the wifi has been unstable, in the sense that randomly some devices lose connection. Devices such as bulbts, chromecast, garage opener, smart switches lose connection more often, This is happening when the total number of connected devices crosses 60. I contacted tech support but i have not been able to get a solution from there, nor was i able to get an answer if there is a max limit for the total no of online clients/devices?

Does anyone have a solution? I am open to any ideas. I tried netgear orbi, its performance was worse than X60. For a smart home with many IOT devices on wifi, what is the best wifi network design? Is there anything i can do on Deco X60 to make it work?

Thanks in advance

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X60: Too may devices?
2022-01-05 02:41:37
Having the exact same issue with my X60 network.
Options
2022-01-05 03:44:59

@mmcclain6 @Blazingfast007 

Hi, since most smart home devices are 2.4ghz only, have you tried to enable a guest network with a different SSID for 2.4ghz only and move some of the IoT devices to the guest network?

Or if you have a spare router at the house, you could consider connecting it to the Deco X60 and creating a separate wireless network only for the IoT devices.

The limit of online clients is up to 150 and 35 smart home devices are more recommended.

Options
2022-01-05 04:49:15

@TP-Link thank you. If I create a separate network, my day to day life will be tough because these two networks don't talk to each other. I have to have  my  Alexa devices and my primary iPhone on the iot network and put everything else on the main network. Is there a way I can have the guest net and main net talk to each other 

Options
2022-01-06 04:27:04

@TP-Link  I followed your advice and created a 2.4 Ghz only guest network and added all the IOT devices to that network. and the main net has both 5 and 2.4 and added my regular laptops/chromecasts etc.  there are about 66 devices on guest net (2.4) and 15 on main net.  The deco node in the kitchen and bedroom are crashing every 30 mins or so, By crash i mean, the lights go red, on the app it shows that those decos have lost connection the main one and they reboot.

Options
2022-01-07 03:33:19

@Blazingfast007 

Hi, thank you very much for the further information.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and hope they could provide other solutions for us.

Please check your email box and make sure you could get an email from us.

Options
2022-01-07 04:35:06

@TP-Link thank you. I look forward to hearing from your sr engineers 

Options
2022-01-29 07:59:21

@TP-Link I am having the exact same issue.  About 200 total devices with most being light bulbs or switches.  Total of 4 x60 decos in the mesh.  Some of the decks keeo restarting and many of the bulbs/cameras/switches disconnect from the network.

Options
2022-02-07 06:23:02

@DeccoDude 

Hi, about 200 online clients might be too many.

The maximum number of clients would not increase along with the number of the Mesh nodes.

Did you set up 4*Deco X60 under the same Mesh network? And on wireless router mode?

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1522

Replies: 8