AC1300 Installed, shows as connected to network, but can't access internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-09 16:42:27 - last edited 2022-01-21 07:20:58

On a Dell Latitude D620 [Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8, I installed AC1300 USB Adapter and successfully downloaded/installed driver from the CD. I have a recent Spectrum separate Modem and dual channel Router.  

The networks display shows my (and neighbors) networks. I can connect  on my network and the display shows CONNECTED, but Internet Explorer won't access any websites and I can't download anything. 

Thanks for any guidance!!  Ken

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AC1300 Installed, shows as connected to network, but can't access internet-Solution
2022-01-14 12:12:18 - last edited 2022-01-21 07:20:58

@Solla-topee 

Soila -

Thank you for your research on these matters - I'll checkout the articles you suggested!!

I agree that the IE 8 Certificate issue isn't the Adapter. Using downloads from my other computer I was able to upgrade from IE 8 that came with Windows 7 to IE 11, which did not exhibit the certificate issue!!!

From Dell specs I finally found, I was able to confirm that USB should be  USB 2. This vintage 2006 Dell Laptop has a so-called Express Card slot, which will accomodate a USB 3.0 adapter, which I'm going to try on the assumption this will somewhat increase the download rate.

Yhanks for your help - I consider my questions resolved!!!

Thanks, Ken

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:AC1300 Installed, shows as connected to network, but can't access internet
2022-01-11 07:31:05 - last edited 2022-01-11 07:31:17

Hello @KenRup 

May I double confirm the model of the adapter, can you see model like Archer T3U /T4U/ T3U Nano etc? :

https://www.tp-link.com/search/?q=AC1300&t=product&p=1

For your case, you could refer to the following instruction:
1. Confirm other devices could get Internet access from the same Wifi network 

2. Check if the PC get an IP address after connected to WiFi network, if PC has an IP address IPv4 gateway (router's IP), try to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and see if that helps. 

Step in FAQ here: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/41/

3.  Check if there is any access control, MAC filtering  or special settings on the main router;

If still the same issue, 1) can i have a photo of the IP address 2) Model of router 3) try to ping IPv4 default gateway and see share the ping result  https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/841/
Thank you. 

Options
2022-01-11 14:01:48
sorry - AC1300 [ARCHER T3U USB] Mini wireless MU-MIMOUSB Adapter. This is on Dell Latitude D620 running Windows 7 SP1 and Internet Explorer 8. I diabled the legacy Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN in the laptop I installed latest Archer T3U Driver from your website. All my otherdevices connect to the network and run correctly - just this laptop has a problem. The network Icon in taskbar lower right of screen displays the network name/ssid and shows as connected/secured. I can access www.yahoo.com I cannot access any other URLs, including www.microsoft.com [message on IE8 "IE has blocked this website from displaying content WITH SECURITY CERTIFICATE ISSUES"] Spectrum Modem: Hitron en2251 Router: Askey SAX1V1k Protocol: WiFi5 (802.11ac Security type: WPA2-Personal Network band: 5 GHZ Network channel: 44 - 80mhz width Link speed: 866/866 TP Link 802.11ac Network adapter KenRup wrote Network name/ssid: Spectrumsetup-CF2 Network type: access point Network availability: all users Connect Automatically: YES Security type: wpa2-personal Encryption: aes Enable FIPS compliance: no
Options
2022-01-12 23:41:05

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your suggestions!

Your suggestions and those of numerous Microsoft articles and TP-Link users group all did not work.  The adapter settings match those on my desktop computer which works fine.

I was able to download a download file for Firefox and have no problem - I can successfully access www.yahoo.com and other sites. I havfe to assume this is a problemn with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (contained in my Windows 7 SP1).

----------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION; This is a 2005 vintage Dell Latitude D620 Laptop. I ran Speedtest.net and find my download speed to be 50Mbps which is half Spectrums speed in my plan and that I measure on my other devices. I'm assuming this is (partially) due to the USB version on the laptop.  I KNOW it's not USB 3.0; how do I tell if it's USB 2.0 or USB 1.0???

Thanks,

Ken

Options
2022-01-14 11:28:55 - last edited 2022-01-14 11:34:42

Hello @KenRup 

Sorry for the late reply, 

I would say from the IE warning it's not the issue with adapter , but should be related to some Browser Certification settings on Windows .

I recommend you start a thread on Microsoft forum or call them for help .  

I notice many articles for this error, here is an article found online which you may give a try: 

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/disable-internet-explorer-security-certificate-79744.html

For the speed, 'ran Speedtest.net and find my download speed to be 50Mbps' may I know is it 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi speed, you could adjust router channel width to higher channel width or bandwidth and see if that helps improve speed. 

Please check the WiFI link speed, 2.4Ghz actual speed could be 30-50% of link speed, 5Ghz could be 40-60% if the link speed , but all the speed is limited by the speed coming from router. 

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

To identify if its USB 2.0 or 1.0, this third party article may help:  Step 5: Identify USB Ports in Device Manager

https://promotionaldrives.com/blog/how-to-identify-usb-ports/

Options
Re:AC1300 Installed, shows as connected to network, but can't access internet-Solution
2022-01-14 12:12:18 - last edited 2022-01-21 07:20:58

@Solla-topee 

Soila -

Thank you for your research on these matters - I'll checkout the articles you suggested!!

I agree that the IE 8 Certificate issue isn't the Adapter. Using downloads from my other computer I was able to upgrade from IE 8 that came with Windows 7 to IE 11, which did not exhibit the certificate issue!!!

From Dell specs I finally found, I was able to confirm that USB should be  USB 2. This vintage 2006 Dell Laptop has a so-called Express Card slot, which will accomodate a USB 3.0 adapter, which I'm going to try on the assumption this will somewhat increase the download rate.

Yhanks for your help - I consider my questions resolved!!!

Thanks, Ken

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-21 07:22:16

@KenRup Glad to let us know you get it resolved! Appreciated for your solution and update here~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 870

Replies: 6