A wireless network settings was reset after accidentally switched Smart Connect feature

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A wireless network settings was reset after accidentally switched Smart Connect feature

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-18 21:36:41 - last edited 2022-08-18 21:39:28
Tags: #Smart Connect
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

Hello. Today I explored different wireless settings in a web-interface of my AX50. When I'm just turned on Smart Connect switch in Advanced --> Wireless Settings (even not clicked a Save button), my PC accidentally lost Wi-Fi network. I waited for a few minutes in hope that the network will became back, but it didn't. Then I take an Ethernet cord and directly connected to the AX50. I saw that 5 GHz wireless SSID and Password was reset back to the default values (like as a factory settings, when SSID became kind a TP-Link_5180 and password became an 8 digits). Next 30 minutes I set up Wi-Fi and typed a new credentials on all my home devices.

So, I found a two bugs, or a non-predictable behaviour:

• the Smart Connect mode enables just for click on its own switch, even with no Save button. It's not forgives accidental click of a mouse and do not give a chance for user to review his decision and switch the Smart Connect back off before he will pointed on the Save button;
  • when the Smart Connect enabled it reset settings at least of a 5 GHz wireless network to the default values.

At this time I don't need a Smart Connect feature. Just keep in mind those two bugs. Please reproduce this situation on a newest firmware to ensure it will not happen anymore.

Options
2 Reply
Re:A wireless network settings was reset after accidentally switched Smart Connect feature
2022-08-22 19:21:59

@mchist,

thanks for the feedback. I can see that just toggling the button without saving could cause issues for some users. If you were using Smart Connect Previously, there was no set SSID and Password for that band as it was simply using the smart connect settings. Also, I believe that there would be issues if you used two separate bands, with the same SSID and the same password.

For more information:

When you toggled the setting, had you already set a customer SSID and Password that was reset? or did the prompt just ask for you to configure the settings for the new separate SSID?

Either way, I will pass the feedback along to our team that the toggle for Smart Connect does not follow the Save Button's behavior and that disabling the smart connect feature should copy the SSID and Password from the previous settings.

Options
Re:A wireless network settings was reset after accidentally switched Smart Connect feature
2022-08-24 20:30:53

@Riley_S 

>Also, I believe that there would be issues if you used two separate bands, with the same SSID and the same password

No, there was two different network's name and password for a 2,4 and 5 GHz. The 2.4 GHz has the manufacter's name and pass, and was manually disabled.

>When you toggled the setting, had you already set a customer SSID and Password that was reset

I doesn't set a customer SSID and Password after toggled setting, and there wasn't a prompt. I didn't do anything else after I toggled this setting on. I saw that 5 GHz setting was lost (and there was nor 2,4 nor 5 network settings but common setting with a factory-like SSID and pass). I toggle this setting off (I suspect  that it had no sence at this time because connection perhaps was lost but I didn't noticed it). Then the 2.4 settings apeared; I saw that Enable Wireless radio checkbox was not checcked, and check it (I misinterpered it as a 5 GHz checkbox). After that I realized that I lost connection to the wireless network.

>I will pass the feedback along to our team

Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 379

Replies: 2

Tags

Smart Connect
Related Articles