Hard wired connection slower than Wi-fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-30 16:13:15
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.6

After replacing my old router (eero) with the Deco XE75 system, we experience significant increases in speed readings through out the house. This was great but I have a bit of a puzzle. My desktop computer has always been hardwired to the router and until now always clocked at or above our advertised download speed of 800 mbps. After installing the new Deco system my desktop is consistently coming in around 400 to 450 mbps. i just ran a speed test on my phone and it came in at 800.4 on the wi fi network, sitting next to the hardwired computer. The hardwired computer came in at 328 mbps. Anyone else run into this and what did you do?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hard wired connection slower than Wi-fi
2022-10-30 22:01:17

@CCART Any number of things can affect the wire speed. 

Are you using a shielded Cat6 or higher Ethernet cable to the desktop? 

What is the Ethernet speed rating of the Ethernet port on your Deco Router? 

What is the Ethernet speed rating for the Ethernet card in your desktop? 

How is the desktop connecting to the network? 

Options
2022-10-31 01:09:00
I would have guessed that he simply unplugged the working desktop from the old router and stuck that plug into the Deco. Since everything was working before, your only suggestion that makes sense is the rating of the Deco port. Since he is getting 300 mbps, it must be rated greater than 100 mbps. If it is rated for 1 Gbps, then something is wrong with the Deco port.
Options
2022-10-31 12:01:47

@DAServices 

I'm currently using a cat 5 ethernet cable which is what I was using before, however I had already decided that could be the problem so I have a cat 8 cable on order.

Ethernet port on the Deco is rated at gig speed

The Ethernet card speed rating on my desktop is 1000/1000 mbps

The desktop is hardwired to the router

The new cable should be here tomorrow, we will see if that helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 666

Replies: 3