Optimal network setup when using Deco X55 with Fios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 15:27:46
Tags: #Backhaul Method #Question
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All, 

New Deco owner here! I am setting up a 3 pack Deco network in my home and am looking for the most optimal way to do it. First some background:

• 3 level townhome ~2200 square feet
  • Wired for Fios gigabit internet - There is at least one Ethernet jack on each floor
  • Currently have the main router connected on the top floor and one Deco access point on the main floor (connected wirelessly to the main router). I have not setup the third one yet
  • Speed wise I am getting 700+ on the top floor, 400-600 on the main and 200-300mbps in the basement.

What would be the best way to have this setup to get optimal and consistent speeds throughout the home? Since I have Ethernet jacks on each floor should I connect each Deco that way or is it better to use them wirelessly? 

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Optimal network setup when using Deco X55 with Fios
2022-11-28 19:29:03 - last edited 2022-11-28 19:30:34

Hey I don’t work for tplink but I can tell you right now hardwiring everything is gonna be the way to go.

*make sure you have a gigabit switch though. 

Options
2022-11-28 21:33:09

@Jalapen0 Thanks! I realize that the issue with hardwiring (in my home at least) is that each point is on a different level of the home. I would need to run wire somehow from one level to the next.

Fios has technically wired my home, but it's not ideal (they routed a bunch of ethernet cables from the ONT through the wall to different wall jacks). While I am not sure if I can connect a switch directly to the ONT, I could possibly connect the main Deco router to the ONT connect a gigabit switch to the router and then connect all the pre-wired ethernet cables to switch. That way all the ethernet jacks in the home could be used for ethernet backhaul? Or would I need to directly connect each Deco router with a single cable? 

Options
2022-11-29 06:30:40

@alishmee 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Your expected network layout would work properly, such as:

And you are suggested to have a look at this link to get more details about Ethernet Backhaul on the Deco:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

72e23988669948f0a5cb6322a955fa18

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1209

Replies: 3

Tags