How to use ethernet ports as part of LAN instead of WAN on WIFI router mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-18 11:08:54
Tags: #LAN vs WAN
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 181127 Rel.56357n(4555)

Hi,

I am running my TP-Link Archer C20 in Wi-Fi router mode. I plugged the WAN Ethernet port on the router to the apartment wall Ethernet port where it gets access to the internet. Then I connected all my devices via WIFI to it, which forms my home network (192.168.0.0/24).

I would like to connect a computer that does not have Wi-Fi to my home network (192.168.0.0/24), so I used the Ethernet cable from this computer to one of the remaining eth ports on the Wi-Fi router.

To my surprise, the IP this computer it get's assigned is an IP from  the ISP (pub ip) and not one from my local network.

I have all configurations done correctly and DHCP is enabled for my LAN. Is there way to make the Wi-Fi router Ethernet ports be part of LAN instead of the WAN?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to use ethernet ports as part of LAN instead of WAN on WIFI router mode?
2022-12-20 18:58:00

@Kyser,

This sounds like there is some setting or feature that is interfering with the IP addressing service for the device. Ensure that you have not set up any port forwards for the device, and that you are not connected to a VPN.

Where are you seeing the IP on your computer? 

What does the IP register as when looking at the router's interface, does it show a local or public IP address?

Options
Re:How to use ethernet ports as part of LAN instead of WAN on WIFI router mode?
2022-12-21 10:00:47

@Riley_S 

Hi,

No, no VPN nor port forwarding.

I believe it's actually how the device is supposed to work. Here is what the help says about various operations modes:

• Wireless Router(Default): In this mode, the device enables multiple users to share the Internet connection via Ethernet port. The LAN devices share the same IP from ISP through Wireless port. While connecting to Internet, the Ethernet port works as a WAN port.

What I understand from the above is that the device will actually consider all the ethernet ports as part of the WAN network, while devices connected via the wifi will be on LAN and share one WAN IP

• Access Point: In this mode, this device can be connected to a wired network and transform the wired access into wireless that multiple devices can share together, especially for a home, office or hotel where only wired network is available.

And in access point mode, this will make both ethernet ports and wifi port be on the same LAN which is the ISP network.

I don't get why this happens though ...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 810

Replies: 2

Tags

LAN vs WAN
Related Articles