Deco P9 Firmware Updates??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-21 06:59:45
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

I apologize in advance, I typically do not complain like this, but why has there been no update for these devices in years now?

I see that there's a certain subset of models that are getting updates, with features that might help me and other users of older devices but for some odd reason we're not worthy for a single update. If it weren't for the fact that I don't have ethernet or coax running through my home and that plc is the last choice I have for back haul and the P9 are the only devices that satisfy my need right now, I would have dumped these a while ago.

There's devices that have update 1.6.0 with a smart DHCP system for Decos in AP mode. Guess what, I'm in AP mode and I have an issue that seems to be DHCP handshake related and having the new firmware with that feature might be a fix.

I've used tp-link for years. Powerline adapters, routers, and switches. I just bought two more switches and a pci nic card. I've always noticed that slowly updates stop coming, but I was never too concerned with alternative firmware out in the wild but these Decos I'm stuck. Tell us if the P9 is EOL or give us a timeframe for the next update because this is ridiculous otherwise. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 Firmware Updates??
2023-02-21 18:41:32

@ACleverUsername,

We don't know when models will be up for a firmware update, however, I do not believe that the P9 is EoL; rather, it is not currently a priority device for receiving new features. The update you are mentioning is still being developed and while it appears to currently be a subset of models, it should eventually extend to many of our other current models and will be released as it is developed.  Something to note however, is that not all the features in the 1.6.0 firmware will appear for all devices.

What do you believe is the issue with the Smart DHCP feature?

From what I can recall, the smart DHCP function is simply in regard to what happens when the Deco is disconnected from the main network. By default on all devices the feature will simply cause the node to periodically check for a DHCP server on the network, and if there is none detected, will start its own server to connect clients directly to the AP. This is the normal function of all the decos, and the 1.6.0 toggle simply allows users to disable this behavior. For the most part, you should only need to disable this feature when you are running another DHCP server on the network, that is not a part of the deco ecosystem.

We did just last week release the Deco PX50, which is the newest powerline-making benefit of the G.hn networking standard. Over the last few months, I have seen a general increase in interest for Powerine devices, and I have been making this clear to our product team. Hopefully, with the addition of a new Powerline model, our engineering team will be looking at releasing updates for all powerline models, or make it a priority to develop the updated features for the P9.

Options
2023-02-21 22:35:15

@Riley_S If you do not know, then who does know? Who at TP-LINK knows? You're just an employee, I get it, but when you reply you also become the face of the organization to me. Simply saying "we don't know" isn't enough. Ask around. If you do and still can't give me an answer then it's unfortunate but at least you attempted to help.

I'm not even that interested in new features. But as a device that connects to the internet, and the internet being known to be full of bad actors looking for exploits every day, it concerns me that there are no updates for security, bug fixes or software optimization. The TP-LINK philosophy of "release device then ignore it to work on the next iteration" is simply frustrating. All of my TP-LINK devices haven't received much of any updates other than an old archer c9 I had. But I mostly did not think much of it since they're rather isolated devices, network switches or powerline adapters. Not front facing devices to the internet. The Deco P9 is front facing. I don't use it as front facing personally, I use it in AP mode but plenty of people use it as the router it is.

The smart DHCP function I've been referring to is part of a larger issue with the Deco P9 I've been having where I believe there is an issue with certain devices connected to my Deco units via ethernet that suspend themselves to conserve power when not being used fail to properly acquire a DHCP reservation from my Openwrt router. It may be another issue but I've narrowed the issue down to the Deco after eliminating all other possibilities, hence another reason I am frustrated with the lack of updates.

Again, I apologize. I'm just frustrated. I do not mean to insult anyone. 

Options
2023-02-22 00:07:14

@ACleverUsername,

Don't worry about it; I completely understand the frustration that comes with this, especially when configuring home networks. I have already reached out to our team to see if I can fish any information out about the Powerline Decos and firmware updates, and I will update you if I hear anything back, but these requests for info often go unanswered.

All I can do, unfortunately, is request information from further up the chain. Our teams have a lot of insight into broader things about what may be coming; however, when it comes to the firmware being developed; we have no insight into the firmware development pipeline. I can say, however, that even if a device is EoLd, security patches for issues that affect the device will still be issued via a firmware update for well into its life.

I do have to say that I do not believe that the Smart DHCP setting is the main factor in your devices not receiving new addresses. By design, the Deco should only begin handing out its own addresses when the Deco is disconnected from the main network for a period of time.  As long as the satellite deco keeps its connection to the network, it should not assign addresses automatically. Is it possible that the satellite deco is either losing its connection or shifting between backhaul methods when the devices have issues? 

As a side note, this is a behavior that I have not seen reported previously. Usually, any type of power-saving feature is reserved for Wireless Devices, as wired devices should have no issue reconnecting with the same address. Something you may try,  just to see if it helps, is to place a switch between the devices and the deco, to see if the switch will be able to manage the static connections better.

Can you detail what Router is using OpenWRT and what devices you are having trouble with obtaining an address?

Options
2023-02-23 06:13:36

@Riley_S Sure. My OpenWRT router is actually a dell optiflex 5050 that I am running a x86 image on. I did so for apt room to run SQM QOS. I am having issues specifically with Android TV devices. Be it Amazon Fire devices (I have tried a Fire TV Cube and two Fire sticks), my Sony Bravia, a chromecast with Google TV, and an off brand android TV box. The Fire TV cube and chromecast worked fine connected with ethernet through a switch that comes off from the router. But when connected to my other TV that has a satellite Deco next to it, after some time, be it few hours or a couple of days, it'll have connectivity issues. Always after coming out from a state of suspension which leads me to think that the device is attempting to grab its IP address from the DHCP server but something glitches out. Before I would restart the device which would clear up the issue. But then I noticed rebooting the Deco would also clear it up. I would try WiFi but that defeats the whole purpose of the ethernet from the Deco. I'm not certain it's a failure of the DHCP handshake but I can't think of anything else. I've tried Static IPs from the router but I've yet to try it from the device. 

Options