DecoS4 signal needs in metal garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-28 18:23:48 - last edited 2023-02-28 18:28:57

Newbie here and I did search on subject.

We're looking at Deco S4 3 pack.  Our home is 2 story 2800 sq ft. We're finishing up our metal siding pole garage, 44x48 16' ceiling.

I was thinking of hooking up 2 units in house using WiFi and third unit would be in garage. I don't know if WiFi will travel 50' from house to closest window in garage?

I could possibly run Ethernet wire (85' run) if WiFi doesn't connect or maybe PowerLine Adapter. Garage has sub panel run from house meter. I'm thinking that's same circuit.

In my forum search, I believe I can connect several units with WiFi and finish last unit in garage with cable back to closest house unit. Correct? Hopefully 85' run isn't too long.

Or members seem to say with garage running off house meter line the PowerLine Adapter should work. Not sure if I still need one of three units in garage this way? Thoughts?

I thought and didn't see anything here about this, if I Ethernet unit in garage from house, will I be able to WiFi another unit in garage off the hardwired one?

I hope I'm clear on this as this is all new to me.

Than

Options
3 Reply
Re:DecoS4 signal needs in metal garage
2023-02-28 19:42:49

@DKStuck 

Ethernet has a maximum cable length of 100 Meters or about 328 feet, so 85 feet is not a problem if you plan to run an Ethernet cable and honestly that would likely be the best option.  Powerline will not work because Powerline does not work across panels, even if it's a sub-panel.  Also, the Metal walls could disrupt a wireless signal making performance in the garage poor.   

If running an ethernet is not viable you can try to use a Deco X50-Outdoor, which is our first Deco designed to be used outside, complete with weatherproofing.  Also in case you didn't know you can add up to 10 Deco units into a single network so if your home needs all 3 of your current units you can add an additional one for the Garage or even add an outdoor unit to cover your yard.

Options
2023-03-01 01:18:05

@Carl 

Ok I appreciate you input! I'm going to order Deco S4 and try WiFi and if not proper I'll try Ethernet cable. 
I was hoping PowerLine would've worked.

Options
2023-03-06 05:42:47

@DKStuck for what its worth, i have a 3 pack of Deco S's set up in my house. the nearest basestation next to a garage facing window will show a 2-3 bar connection out in the driveway in front of the garage, however the signal appears to be strong, it can get choppy in the garage which is less than 50ft line of sight. i plan on running an ethernet out to the garage and setting up a wired backhaul access point out there. i will do a speed test tomorrow. ill get 450 Mbps wirelessly next to the satellite, and ill measure the speeds once i get out there. basically, sure it will reach, but not reliably enough for my needs. runnging a cable out there would be the best bet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 264

Replies: 3