Eco Mode, Wi-Fi Scheduling and LED Control - Now Available for the Deco M4 V1/2

2023-03-07 19:16:01 - last edited 2023-05-31 22:15:27
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Introducing Eco Mode for Deco

Now Available for Testing on the Deco M4 V1 and V2 (More Models to Follow)

Introduced in Firmware: 1.5.6 Build 20221229 for the Deco M4 v1/v2

Our teams are developing and beginning to release a new feature for our Deco Line of products. ECO Mode. The update to the Deco M4 adding ECO Mode brings three features: Power Mode, Wi-Fi Scheduling, and LED Control.

If you have a network of compatible M4 Devices, we would love to hear your feedback on the features in the comments below:

ECO Mode - Power Mode Options and Scheduling

The new Power Mode option introduces three modes that determine the power consumption of the Deco. The Three(3)  Power Modes introduced are:

• Normal Mode: The Normal Function of a Deco, where performance is not affected.
  • Power-Saving Mode: Lowers the Power to Reduce Consumption, which will slightly reduce your network speed.
  • Ultra-Power Saving Mode: Lowers Deco Consumption to a Minimum while still maintaining an active connection. Your network speed will reach the lowest speed available to your device.

Mode Scheduling: You may select a Power Mode to take effect during a set time period, when a mode schedule is set, the deco will then operate in normal mode for the rest of the time.

2b256750118d475b874683f0a67f17df

Wi-Fi Scheduling:

Wi-Fi Scheduling allows you to turn off your Deco’s Wi-Fi when you do not want or need to have access to the internet. Enabling and scheduling this feature will disable wireless access to your network during the time period set; however, wired devices will still maintain their connection.

If you would like the 2.4Ghz Network to remain enabled, there is a toggle available when setting s schedule to ”Keep 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi On.” This is useful for networks with a lot of IoT, Smart devices, or cameras, as these will maintain their connection through this band.

79194156a12848c3a116401ba0cb8bbe

Please be aware that during the scheduled “Off Time” the wireless networks will be completely disabled, no matter if it is the guest Wi-Fi, the IoT network, or the host network.

If “Keep 2,4Ghz Wi-Fi On” is disabled, during the off period you will be unable to manage your deco network through a wireless connection and you must either use the Web Interface to disable the off time or restart all of the deco nodes in the network.

LED Control and Scheduling

If you have your Deco in a Bedroom or in a dark room, this feature is meant for you. The LED control allows you to both permanently toggle the status of the LED light on the node, or to set a schedule for when you would like the light disabled. This separates the LED Light from the status of the Deco, and the feature only serves to manage the LED, not the network.

Read More about Configuring ECO Mode in our FAQ:

What is ECO Mode and How Do You Configure It In the Deco App?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Eco Mode, Wi-Fi Scheduling and LED Control - Now Available for the Deco M4 V1/2
2023-03-08 00:35:08 - last edited 2023-03-08 00:37:19

@Riley_S That Eco mode feature sounds awesome! I'd love to know how it achieves lower power consumption. By reducing radio transmission power? CPU clock speed? A proprietary combo?

I'm interested to know because I really wish it were possible to adjust the radio transmission power of my Deco M5 units. If Eco mode does, the prospect of being able to schedule that makes it even more appealing!

Hoping this feature makes its way to the M5, and hoping you can let us know whether Eco mode affects Deco transmission power at all.

Thanks!

Options
Re:Eco Mode, Wi-Fi Scheduling and LED Control - Now Available for the Deco M4 V1/2
2023-03-08 17:22:04

@AlarmingMelon,

I believe that this uses a propriety combination of both due to the fact that the ECO mode will keep the devices connected to the network but will deliver a fraction of the speed to save power. If the transmission power is brought down too much, however, the devices towards the upper end of the Decos range would disconnect from the network.

I think the transmission power on a Deco network is not meant to be changed due to how the satellites are configured to mesh together and create backhauls between each node. I will forward the request to be able to change the transmission power to our developers to see if we are given any reason.

I will also look to see if I can find any specifics on how the power is saved specifically.

Options
2023-04-25 20:07:14

@Riley_S We are all waiting around for the 1.6 update for our M4 V1/2 devices so we can actually fix some of the issues on our networks via the "customizing Satellite Deco signal source" and "customizing clients connection preference" settings available in the 1.6 firmware. Instead we get an update that literally gives us the option to make our network signal WORSE! Was anybody really asking for that?

Options
2023-05-05 21:44:51 - last edited 2023-05-05 21:49:02

Excited about the Wi-Fi Scheduling! I have been using a Kasa plug to turn off the Deco satellite in our Bedroom from 11:45pm to 6:30am. This will be an improvement!

Hoping the Deco BE95 firmware will be updated next :)

Edit: actually, quick question @Riley_S do you know if this could be applied to stallites nodes only? i.e. not the main unit. Thanks

Options
2023-05-06 00:13:47

@TheJimmyZ,

As the feature stands, you cannot set an ECO mode for specific nodes, however, I can see how useful this could be for nodes such as in a bedroom. I will definitely make sure to forward your feedback. I would imagine that there may be some compatibility issues with the new preferred node and band selection features, so it may take a while before we see the feature officially rolled out to more models, but I would think the BE95 would be one of the first.

But I do know that there are already updates planned for the BE95 that will increase its stability and efficiency, so we may get more information on the rollout of the feature soon.

Options
2023-05-07 19:43:56

@Riley_S thanks for the extra information.

Looking forward to new features :)

Options
2023-06-20 11:23:04

@Riley_S That is exciting. Energy prices keep going up, we all need to do our share to sav resources, and this is very forward thinking of TP-Link. When do you plan on releasing this for the Deco S4 v1/2 model? A rough idea would be good since I am debating whether to buy an old (used) M4 v2 model or a new S4 v2 one. Thanks

Options
2023-06-24 22:30:43

Hi. For me wifi sheduling on m4 In latest firmware doesn't work. I've successfully configured Eco Mode and wifi shedule beetween 0am and 6am. Deco app says that your wifi is turned off, but i can connect to my wifi. 

Options
2023-06-24 23:12:29
Ok. I've possibly found a bug. Deco says that my wifi is off but it's on. But one hour later it turns off. There's something wrong with timezone or Winter Time. My timezone is Europe/Warsaw. If i set wifi on at 0am(12pm) deco wifi turns off at 1am although beetween 0am-1am says its turned off.
Options
2023-07-07 06:23:24

@Riley_S 

Do you have any plan or ETA to implement this feature to Deco E4 ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2034

Replies: 11

Related Articles