6Ghz wifi not showing up on 6e capable devices

2023-03-15 01:22:20
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220927

Hi to all,

Before deciding on a mesh system, specifically for 6Ghz wifi band, I verified and confirmed my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE5G, Samsung Galaxy S23, and the other two Lenovo laptops can see our SSID for 6Ghz. Apart from these, friends and family that have visited us with 6/6e capable devices does not show-up either. I am no longer focused on 6e since we can't even see 6! 

2.4Ghz and 5Ghz work fine but it's throwing money out the door if I can't connect to 6Ghz. Before anyone even tells me, "Are you sure your devices are 6Ghz/6e capable wifi cards/chipset and that the drivers are up-to-date"? Yes, they are. We have several operating systems for the devices that we use at home. A Windows 11 Lenovo laptop from work, two other Lenovo laptops with Zorin OS(both laptops have the latest drivers for 6Ghz as well as the kernel version- 6.2.2), two Samsung Galaxy phones (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE5G, Samsung Galaxy S23). 

Friends of mine with capable wifi 6 cellphones, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Samsung Galaxy Fold 5G, iPhone 14 PRO, and iPhone 14. I have a bunch of IoT clients that obviously connect to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and I for this reason, I am not going to accept the following answer, "reset/restore factory settings and see if this works to show 6Ghz". Nope! It's a tedious task to start from scratch, name the SSID's, restore/reconnect the lights, the tv's, the smart door, smart video doorbell, smart vaccum cleaners, smart air purifiers and several cameras around the house. 

Any help is appreciated!

Options
28 Reply
Re:6Ghz wifi not showing up on 6e capable devices
2023-03-15 17:31:00

Hey @RobSal2023,

Would be more than happy to help you figure this out. To verify, you cannot see the 6Ghz network on any of the devices that you listed?

I believe that in the default configuration of the XE75, the 6 Ghz frequency will only be used to establish a backhaul between deco modes. To allow the network to be seen by client devices, you must ensure that the setting for the 6Ghz network is set to be used for both Client and Backhaul Connections. 

Options
2023-03-15 22:34:30

@Riley_S under Wi-Fi Settings, I have 6ghz Network with our SSID name Sala Gutz_6ghz, a password(created when we first set it up), and under "Use 6 Ghz Wi-Fi for", it is set as "Wi-Fi Network & Backhaul", not as a "Dedicated Backhaul". Did I miss anything because it sure does not broadcast the 6ghz band.

Thank you!

Options
2023-03-16 00:05:17

@RobSal2023,

Nope, you've got it set correctly. The only other thing I would check settings-wise for a quick fix is under Advanced where there is a toggle to hide the SSID of the 6Ghz network from lists and discovery.

What I would recommend doing is using a Wi-Fi analyzer app on a 6E phone to determine if it is broadcasting but also hidden. Also, you may try to connect to the 6Ghz network with manually entered settings to see if it can establish a connection.

Lastly, while it is still a hassle, switching the Deco Node Locations and changing the main node through the Deco app is far easier than resetting the entire network. Oftentimes, the reconfiguration between Decos will jumpstart any issues with connectivity or bandwidth, you may try this to see if anything changes. 

Options
2023-03-18 20:46:19

@Riley_S From the 3 DECO's, I switched 2 of them on the app and physically from it's location. The reconfiguration did not "jumpstart" to show the 6Ghz band. Last attempt would be to factory reset which I honestly do not want to do. 

Options
2023-03-25 23:39:03

@Riley_S The engineer assigned to me disappeared from the face of the Earth. He emailed if we can meet and what time. I replied and got crickets for several days. He said to install TeamViewer and Putty. I installed it on my Linux distro Zorin OS. I have the latest Linux Kernel that includes wifi-6 for my Lenovo's chipset. Testing can also be done with my Samsung Galaxy in case Linux is to difficult for the engineer. 

The engineer wanted to install a debug version of the software installed on the XE-75's. Not sure what else to do... I can't be the only client that can see 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and not 6. 

Any suggestions are more than welcome.... 

Options
2023-03-31 20:42:24

I have the same problem with XE75 Pro. On M2 iPad Pro 6Ghz network just doesn't show up. I already tried everything, including a complete reset. On a status page it says: "On, channel 37". But can't see it on iPad

Options
2023-03-31 21:15:40

@olegafx I'm almost tempted to return all 3 DECOS. I bought it for the 6 and 6e band and not 2.4/5Ghz. Don't know what else to do but it appears we may not be the only ones with this issue.

Options
2023-04-11 06:13:00 - last edited 2023-04-11 06:15:54

@RobSal2023 I turned on 6 GHz Wi-Fi Network & Backhaul option and I have no issues seeing the 6 GHz network.  I have a Pixel 7 phone that I confirmed has wifi 6E support and it connects just fine and have done many speedtests with it.  Weird situation that you have but it doesn't seem to be an overall Deco XE75 issue.  Perhaps you have some weird issues with your Deco units.  Double check the passwords logging into the wifi 6E network.  Make an easy password to test to make sure your wifi 6E devices can connect to the 6 GHz network.

Options
2023-04-11 07:36:50

@flai54 I have M2 iPad Pro (A2759). It supports WiFi 6E. Pretty sure that router is the problem. I just don't know if it's hardware or software issue. Like why here it's showing channel 0 for 6GHz:
f6fa80ca5fff4b54b1c6380335c6a14d 

Options
2023-04-12 10:17:45

@olegafx 

Hi, Have you checked whether 6ghz has already been allowed in Mexico?

best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 6188

Replies: 28