X20 wireless speed when connected to satellite node(s)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-19 12:51:18
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hello Community,

I recently purchased the Deco X20 system to replace an aging Google WiFi mesh system.  I installed the Deco system a few days ago, and have a couple of questions regarding wireless speeds.  My internet connection is fiber with a subscribed speed of 500 Mbps up and down.  When I test the speed at my computer (which is wired to the main Deco device) I consistently see speeds in excess of the 500 Mbps in both directions.  I do not have wiring in my house to support an ethernet backhaul configuration between the Deco devices.

When I have a device (phone, laptop, etc) connected wirelessly to the main Deco device speed testing shows speeds in excess of 400 Mbps in both directions.  However, when I connect to either of the satellites, the speed is typically anywhere between 80 to 100 Mbps in both directions.  I realize the speeds are slower d/t having to use the wireless backhaul setup, but I'm wondering if those speeds are consistent with what I should be seeing, or should they be faster?  In the advanced setttings I enabled Fast Roaming for testing.  That didn't have any impact on the speeds I was seeing when connected to the satellite nodes, but seemed to reduce the speed when connected to the main node, so I reversed that setting.

The main node is in my basement office where the ISP demarc is, with one satellite on the main floor almose immediately above the main node, and the other satellite also on the main floor approx 25 to 30 ft laterally from the location of the main node.  Typical house (lumber, drywall, no concrete walls on the main floor, etc).

If the speeds I am seeing are what would be expected with my setup and environment, that is fine as they are slightly higher than what I was getting with the older Google WiFi system.  If, however, I should expect higher speeds please advise on what I can do to try to achieve that.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Options
4 Reply
Re:X20 wireless speed when connected to satellite node(s)
2023-04-19 18:14:35

@Russ_D 

might be your MTU, but I'm not sure if your model lets you set it :(

Options
2023-04-20 06:33:01

@Russ_D 

Hi, 

Do you have a wired laptop so that we could connect the laptop directly to the satellite Deco X20?

If the Ethernet speed from satellite Deco X20 is also below 100m/s, the wireless Mesh Backhaul between two Deco X20s might not be good.

Then, you could check whether the signal source on each satellite Deco X20 is at least 2 bars.

df803d3d61c84f9585fbc5c2369ecd08

• The location of the first satellite X20--right above the main node, could be optimized a little bit, maybe in the 30º~60º vertical range.
  • If there is any chance that the satellite Deco could be wired from the main node, the speed would be greatly improved.

And It is also suggested to have a look at this link:

Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-20 13:57:01

@Matt12eagles 

Matt, thanks for taking the time to read my question and reply.  I'm not seeing the option to set the MTU size in my system.

Options
2023-04-20 13:59:40

@David-TP 

David, thanks for taking the time to read my question and reply, and thanks also for the information.  I'll run some tests with my laptop connected via ethernet cable to the satellite nodes and see how that looks.  I'll also see if I can reposition the one satellite that is directly above the main node.

Options