AXE5400 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6E Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-25 20:49:35
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20221208 rel.72102(5553)

Using my existing AXE75.  I used it with an older PC to which I added an RX604 WiFI 6 network adapter.  It finds the 6G easily.  Recently, I purchased a new ASUS B650M-Plus WiFi MB.  It has a built-in WiFi 6 adapter that supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax.  Despite my best efforts, it does not see the 6G.  It will connect to 5G choices, but does not display any 6G.

I bought an Amazon listed WiFi6, 1800M with 802.11ax protocol.  I does not see 6G either.

Where am I wrong to get the 6G on the new computer?  Am I misunderstanding what 6G is?  The status shows the new computer is connected to 5G @ 1201.  The old machine and the new have similar results on the OOKLA speed test, with new machine actually better on the ping and download speeds.  BTW, I am using Starlink Satellite Service and getting speeds that vary between 180-360 depending on the time of day.

Should I be happy and quit looking for anything else or am I doing it wrong?

Charlie (aka alsatia52)

Ocean Shores, WA US

Options
1 Reply
Re:AXE5400 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6E Router
2023-04-27 16:52:17

@alsatia52,

I think that you are simply mixing up Wi-Fi 6 vs Wi-Fi 6E.

The 6Ghz band was only introduced with Wi-Fi 6E and requires a Wi-Fi 6E Router and Network Adapter.

Your AXE75 will be able to broadcast the 6Ghz band for clients, just make sure that it is enabled in the rotuer's wireless settings.

You will need to also make sure that your network adapter for your PC is rated for Wi-Fi 6E instead of just Wi-Fi 6.

The Wi-Fi 6 Standard took the existing wireless protocols and simply improved on them by adding features that made the communication both more efficient and more stable. The Wi-Fi 6E Standard took these improvements and added the 6Ghz band with a few extra features.

Onto the naming of devices - I believe the Wi-Fi 6E standard does not have its own designation (a/b/g/n/ac/ax) and falls under the AX category. This means that you have to look one step further to guarantee 6E compatibility.

Each company will choose to market the tech differently, such as TP-Link using of the XE and AXE model names. I would make sure that the devices you are looking at list that they can make use of the 6Ghz band.

Options