Bridging 2 routers with 1 in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-18 22:57:24 - last edited 2023-07-18 22:59:05
Model: Archer A6   Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

First time in the TPLink forums. I am trying to complete what I thought was a simple connection to extend my WiFi signal. 

I just purchased an AX21 to replace my A6 as my main router. My goal was to move the A6 upstairs where I have an ethernet cable ran. 

At first try, I simply set up the AX21 with my SSID and then set the old A6 to AP mode, running the cat5e cable to the LAN ports between them. 

I noticed that even in AP mode, the A6 still had options available for DHCP which to my knowledge, should be defaulted as "OFF" when it is functioning as an AP. 

I configured the A6 to a static IP (not in the DHCP range of the AX21) and turned off DHCP on the A6. The AX21 could identify the A6 on the network. Upon testing, I could not seem to connect when upstairs to the A6 in AP mode. A bit more digging on the internet and I found that the "Transmit Power" may be set too high for devices to reach the 2nd router, and that it could be creating confusion. 

I further set both to "Low" and continued to not be able to reach the A6 at all. Without being able to buy software to heat map the wifi signal, I am at a loss to determine:

1. If the device is configured properly

2. If the A6 is emitting a WiFi signal at all (Lights indicate both 2.4 & 5GHz bands are on)

Is there anything I am missing here?

- James

(EDIT) Both routers have update firmware and are configured with the same SSID and PW

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 160

Replies: 0

Related Articles