Internet went down, then home network went down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-30 23:39:01 - last edited 2023-07-31 00:18:07
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453

I have a pair of Deco XE75s. A short time ago, my internet service went out.

The main unit noticed this, and went red.

I had an active login session (IPv4) to a Linux box on my home network, and that went down, too. So did my laptop's connection to the wireless home network.

This is very bad.

The local network should remain up even when the internet is down, but apparently the XE75 decides to bounce both physical ports and Wi-Fi.

My old Airport Extreme didn't do this.

2023-07-30T18:23:06.859037-05:00 linux kernel: [695876.958513] r8169 0000:03:00.0 eth0: Link is Down
2023-07-30T18:23:09.243020-05:00 linux kernel: [695879.344934] r8169 0000:03:00.0 eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

If there's a setting I can change, please point me to it.

If there's not, please amend this behavior in a firmware update.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet went down, then home network went down
2023-08-02 11:37:55

@ambivalent 

Hi, Thanks for your time and patience.

The current firmware 1.2.1 has optimized the WAN Auto-Detect feature on Deco XE75. The WAN port would not change unless the physical connection between the modem and router was broken. So if only the internet service went down but the modem is still powered on and connected to the main XE75, it would still remain on the same WAN port.

May I know what are the devices that connected via Ethernet cables behind the main Deco XE75?

Are you able to connect the laptop to the satellite Deco XE75 and its Ethernet connection would remain as the local network all the time?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-02 12:36:21 - last edited 2023-08-02 12:41:44

@David-TP 

During this event, the internet connection became unreliable. The ISP's self-help troubleshooting found no problems, but did offer to send a remote reset signal to the modem, which I accepted.

The modem would not sync, so after a few minutes, I power-cycled the modem and only the modem. At that point, the Deco shut down all networking for a brief time.

If I understand you, then you're saying that if the autodetected WAN port goes down, then the Deco becomes "confused" and resets all ports, apparently including Wi-Fi.

In that case, there should be an option to designate a port as the WAN port, so that the rest of the network will stay up. Autodetection should not be the only option.

The other two devices connected to this Deco's Ethernet ports are a general-purpose Linux host (running static IP) and a Roku.

Options
2023-08-03 09:26:53

@ambivalent 

Hi, Thanks for the update. You got mostly right and the main Deco did become "confused" about which one is the WAN port and reset ports, but not including Wi-Fi. the wireless devices are still able to communicate with each other and the wired clients to the satellite Deco units.

All the Ethernet ports on the main Deco are WAN/LAN auto-sensing and would consider themselves as WAN ports if they failed to obtain an IP address from the modem during its power cycle.

The option to manually designate a port as the WAN port is still under discussion. Currently, the new firmware has optimized this auto-sensing mechanism. If the physical connection remained unchanged, in your case not power cycling the modem, main Deco will still keep the port to the modem as the WAN port, the rest two ports as LAN ports. So during the internet outage, the Whole LAN communications remained.

So before the implementation of designating a port as the WAN port, moving the Linux host (running static IP) and Roku to satellite XE75 pro would be a temporary solution.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 273

Replies: 3

Related Articles