Deco App needs a WAN speed test

2023-08-24 20:52:25
Model: Deco X55 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20230725 Rel 63461

Again, I believe there have been several posts on this topic. I don't have it handy but I believe one previous thread had an official response from TP-Link saying that users should take a laptop with ethernet cable to the ISP modem to do a speed test. What absolutely horrible advice. Putting your laptop directly on a presumably public IP like that! Absoluate garbage. And to top it off, apparently there used to be a speed test function in the Deco Lab tab of the mobile app but it was removed.

I bought the X55 Pro beacuse my ISP has 2Gbps service, and my previous mesh wifi solution only had 1 Gbps upstream. I certianly don't have any 2+ Gbps laptops to test with, so even if I were inclined to follow that ridiculous suggestion it wouldn't provide the testing I need. I want to make sure I am getting the maximum connection speed from my ISP that I have paid for, and I cannot without going out and buying a USB ethernet adapater.

This is another function that I had with the 1st gen Google Wifi, that I no longer have with a Deco unit modle released in 2023 and marketed as Pro.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco App needs a WAN speed test
2023-08-25 08:04:38

@JJoe 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think you do explain why this feature is important in a new way. It has been requested before, and with more Multi-Gigabit Mesh Wi-Fi Solutions coming out, It might be requested again later. I will keep reporting to the seniors and if there is any further news, the community will be updated as soon as possible.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-08-27 04:21:24

@David-TP Thanks. Even just a way to see the link speeds.for each mesh point would be helpful.

Options
2023-11-05 02:40:47

@David-TP any update on if the WAN speed test might ever just be made available to all Deco models? It can't be a complicated feature, since standalone linux CLIOokla offers a standalone linux CLI and the Deco app screenshots in this FAQthis FAQ indicate it's using Ookla.

Options
2024-02-28 17:29:19
Hi @David-TP, It'll be very useful to know what speed is coming INTO the X55 Router from the modem. I have the 1.2Gbps plan. I have a multi gig modem, the X55 Pro router, a 2.5G switch connected to the 2.5G port of the router and a Dell desktop with the 2.5G card connected to the switch. I get only 700 Mbps, and other wired computers get around 850 Mbps. No where near the advertised 1.2Gbps. The speed test could reveal if Xfinity is or is not holding up their end of the speed promise.
Options
2024-03-02 13:54:00

@JJoe So what is the speed test in the app testing? When I run a speed test from the app I get way higher numbers than when I test on Ookla.

Options
2024-03-02 15:54:50

@Bluestringer I still don't have a speed test option in the Deco app. It would be the same thing as the Polka test, or fast.com, or any other implementation. The difference is the test would be run on your Deco hardware instead of your client device (PC, laptop, tablet, phone, console, etc). Most likely your devices have network interface with a lower total bandwidth (like 1 Gbps ethernet vs 2.5, or WiFi 5 vs 6 or 7). This is exactly the case for me, the Deco is the only device I have with hardware that is capable of reaching the full speed of my Internet connection.I can't test my 2 Gbps fiber connection with a 750 Mbps wifi card or a 1 Gbps ethernet card.

Options
2024-03-02 20:50:51

@JJoe My app does have a speed test. I have a 1gig FTTH service. I assume the app test is showing the speed from my ONT to the main Deco. The speed it shows is close to the 1gig service. If I connect my laptop direct to the ONT via ethernet I get about the same speeds the test is showing. But if I test speed with the ookla app on my phone it shows much lower. I have the Deco W3600, only 2 units. The main unit is in my bedroom connected to the ONT. The second unit I have at my desk in another room and I have it connected to my desktop via ethernet. I can get close to full speed on it. My phones are slow. I have a Chromebook and it gets good speeds depending on where I am in the house. According to the netflix test on my TV it gets between 125 and 170 down, plenty of speed to stream. I plan on getting a third unit, which will probably be a X20, I think it's the same as a W3600 but with more features.

Options