New Home Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New Home Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New Home Setup
New Home Setup
2023-09-08 18:05:24
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

We recently moved into a new house and one of the previous owners setup a massive network configuration that I am trying to decipher in order to properly use the Cat6 connections and also add some MoCa connections at some locations for faster networking speeds in some office areas. Here is an image of what the connections look like. I have installed my Xfinity Xfi gateway (which I would like to put into bridge mode) and hope to get the Cat6 connections working so I can add my two Deco units to Cat6 connections upstairs as the network stuff is in the basement. 

My main questions are two-fold:

1) Does it matter where I connect my ethernet from my modem? When I add it to whatever port, I imagine I would need to go into the TP link switch software to tell the setup which port the internet is coming from? I was thinking maybe port 24 where the old 'yellow' ethernet connection used to be?

2) Does anyone know what the additional 24 ports are for below the TP link setup? Some of them have labels which correspond to where I have found cat6 wall connections. Just wondering why the connections go from the TP link setup to another switch setup?

24760952477d4726900f800cb67f5c48

Options
4 Reply
Re:New Home Setup
2023-09-13 10:27:19 - last edited 2023-09-13 10:28:08

@Panyk_Attak 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For the TP-Link switch, it seemed like the model is TL-SG1024 which is an unmanaged switch. It is plug-and-play without a software-controlled UI.

So basically it doesn't matter which one goes to the Xfinity Wi-Fi gateway.

Have you checked what the original device is on the other end of the yellow cables from the switch?

As for the bottom switch, Are you able to see its model number? Have you seen any cable connections between these two switches? I think they are in stacking and one of the black cables might link them together to expand more Ethernet ports.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Options
2023-09-14 10:22:26

@Panyk_Attak From what I see, the blue cables are coming from the RJ45 plugs in your house and are connected to the bottom appliance, and you have short  black cables connecting the bottom appliance to the TP Link switch.

If this is correct, the bottom appliance is not a switch, it is rather a "patch pannel".  Thanks to this patch pannel, you can modify the configuration without any risk of disturbing the blue cables within your walls.

Options
2023-09-14 10:36:04

@Panyk_Attak 

If you want to make a single mesh with your two Decos in router mode, I believe one Deco must be connected between the xfinity box and the switch.

See this : https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

Options
2023-09-14 12:25:13
@David-TP. Thanks for the information about the switch not needing software support. I have my xfi gateway connected to an open coax cable and have the wifi coming from that point currently. However, as the house is 4,000 sqft and the modem is in the basement I do not think the meager speed it is putting out is sufficient. I am going to try to connect the modem to an open port on the switch this weekend and see if it 'turns on' some of the wired cat6. I have read that the Deco units do not work in repeater mode, so if the cat6 does not work would the best plan forward be to purchase another Deco unit to expand to 3 units to cover the house? 1) Base unit connected to Xfinity modem in basement 2) One unit on main floor, and one on 2nd floor.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 246

Replies: 4

Related Articles