Deco XE5300 intermittently dropping WiFi

2023-09-13 07:40:19
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.7

I moved to a new house & wanted to set up multiple IoT devices for Apple HomeKit. I use Meross switches.  Have several HomePod Minis & a couple AppleTV's.  When I started building the network I set the main network as 5GHz only (for now) for now & gave it a unique name. I turned on IoT Network & gave it a separate name, 2.4 only.  Initially, I could jump on either the primary or the dedicated IoT Wi-Fi's without an issue.

I kept my phone logged into the IoT (2.4) & "forgot" the primary 5GHz to make adding devices to Apple Home app easier. 

The AppleTV's are hardwired in. 

I added all the HomePods on to the Home app using the IoT network on 2.4GHz only. Then I began adding all the Meross switches & Hunter ceiling fans (these are a PITA, IFYKYK).

I then began putting the Meross switches in to WiFi pairing mode & adding them one by one.  I would add one, then insure under Connection Preference that "2.4GHz" was checked.  After adding ~ 11 of them I could not get any of the others to add. Despite following similar steps as the first 11, the others do not connect to the Home app. 

1-2 of them have stayed in WiFi pairing mode & I can see the network the switch broadcasts under my WiFi settings. 

Here is where things get very odd.  My WiFi began to drop intermittently. Every few mins I was unable to connect to either the primary (5GHz) or the IoT (2.4GHz) wifi's. And now, when I do, I get the message "No internet connection."  In the Deco app there is only minimal network traffic to confirm nothing is connecting. 

I am at my wits-end trying to figure out why the WiFi keeps cutting out. I have tried rebooting the Deco's, hard resetting my phone, etc. I just don't know how to get the WiFi to stabilize. Wife came home & she cannot connect to wifi (primary or IoT) on her phone, laptop, anything....All wired devices are doing fine. 

Options
51 Reply
Re:Deco XE5300 intermittently dropping WiFi
2023-09-14 03:15:11

@Aloha77 

Hi, welcome to the community.

May I know how many mobile devices that are connected to the Deco Mesh? How many of them are smart home devices?

Here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Disable "Beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

2. Turn off "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP for smart home devices that dropped out a lot.

At the same time, I would like to follow up on your case via email and please check whether you could get an email from us later.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-14 12:19:45

@David-TP 

mobile devices: iPhone 14 Pro iOS 16.6.1, iPhone 13 Pro Max iOS 16.6.1

Devices: currently 32 devices, mostly Meross smart dimmer switches, Hunter Simpleconnect Fans, Rachio sprinkler controller, & Apple HomePods. 

Beamforming & Mesh already turned off for these devices. 

Options
2023-09-15 10:52:25

@Aloha77 

I have had lots of network instability as well on my axe5300 network. I discovered that turning off the guest and iot networks improved stability a lot....

Until a new firmware drop. Now my network is unstable again and many of my Reolink cameras can no longer connect to wifi.

Very frustrating. 

Options
2023-09-15 16:40:49

@xjsimon Found that as the same solution myself. It's been stable since turning those off. Hoping for a firmware update to come and fix this soon. 

Options
2023-09-15 21:30:55

@WYLDSTALLYNS I'm glad I'm not the only one, I guess?? :)

Have you had any issues with the latest firmware? It broke something and all my wifi cameras are very unstable. Only thing I figured out is the update defaulted the fast roaming as on which caused problems for me before and had beamforming off which was working good before. Reverting those back haven't helped stability. 

I guess there's no way to go back to an older firmware?

Options
2023-09-16 12:56:56

Fixed! I switched my security setting to WPA2 only and now all my Reolink 2.4Ghz cameras are working great!

I still don't have fast roaming on or IOT/Guest networks enabled. Will leave it this way to see if it stays stable, but looking really good right now.

I have 9 axe5300 units over 20 acres with 100 devices connecting (60 IP/wifi cameras), so not the typical home network, but as of right now it is all running really well.

Options
2023-09-16 21:48:12

Well, that fix was short lived. After a few hours, the cameras all dropped and are less accessible than before. Turned WPA2/3 back on and no fix.

Options
2023-09-17 16:34:48

@Aloha77 it's normal for Deco. Can you share you system log - errors or critial errors tab ?

Options
2023-09-17 16:37:48
Are you only using one bandwidth ? Ihave most of IOT on 2.4 while computers and phones on 5Ghz. Use one bandwith for both is veeeeery slow so I used main network as 5Ghz only and guest for IOT device 2.4 But even then the Deco is veery slow and not really working... I think the implementation in these Deco devices are very bad.
Options
2023-09-17 22:25:20

@Aloha77 

I'm having very similar issues since addington the IoT network. The Guest network was only marginally better. I was about to turn off the IoT and reconnect the devices on it, but haven't tried yet. It seems like that was only a temporary fix for others.

Basically, since the latest firmware updates and the addition of the IoT network, the system has been exceedingly unstable. I also had to drop down to 80Mhz from 160Mhz due to constant network drops.

I'm nearly to the point of returning it to Costco and getting something different.

Options