Deco w7200 Mesh Will Only do 2.4ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-24 06:36:25
Model: Deco W7200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have the Deco w7200 Mesh system, 3 units. When going through the connections on the app, I noted that all the devices, every single one, was only connect by 2.4ghz. None were using the 5ghz channel.

I selected my computer from the list and I told it to favor 5ghz for my device (in the deco app). This immediately kicked my computer off the network and I could not get reconnected back. I ended up having to remove my computer from the client list in the app so I could re-connect to it.

But it showed me what I also see, Deco is not allowing any devices to connect on the 5ghz network and I'm not sure why.

Any fix for this?

Cheers!

Ryan

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco w7200 Mesh Will Only do 2.4ghz
2023-09-24 06:36:48

@flabbybuns I should be clear I am not sure on hardware version, but my Firmware is up to date.

Options
2023-09-25 22:28:39

@flabbybuns Sounds like the device itself isn't capable of supporting 5Ghz, I have a laptop that's the same and only can use 2.4Ghz. 

What's the Wi-Fi card/capabilities of the device? Sometimes manufacturers cheap out and screw us. 😣

Options
2023-09-25 23:06:11

@flabbybuns,

Do you happen to know if this is a recent behavior or has been occurring for a while?

If it is only a recent behavior, you could try to reboot your deco system to see if there is a change. I would recommend attempting to scan your area to see if the 5Ghz band is being broadcast by the Deco's in the first place.

Also, the 5Ghz band has a much shorter range, so depending on the location of your units, your devices may simply favor the 2.4Ghz connection.

Do you know what the network adapter in your laptop is? If it does not support 5Ghz, the exact behavior you reported is to be expected.

Can you attempt to connect a device that you know supports 5Ghz such as a smart phone? 

Options
2023-09-26 21:56:43

@Riley_S I just reboot the entire network.

So, I look, 41 clients reconnected.

How many are on the 5ghz? Zero

All 41 clients on 2.4ghz.

My iphone, 2.4ghz

three Roku TVs, all on 2.4ghz, though they are in the rooms with the routers.

Directly wired, I get 320mbit/s. WiFi right next to Deco, I get 80mbit/s.

No 5ghz at all, not sure why. Hoping to declutter the 2.4ghz channel, as I know at least a dozen of the devices connected do 5ghz.

Cheers!

Ryan

Options
2023-09-26 22:20:32
Just installed a Wifi Analyzer on a windows computer. Did a search and filtered for 5ghz networks only, the wifi network no shows. The Deco's are not outputting 5ghz and I have no idea why. Just 2.4 ghz. I thought of telling it to output to 5ghz only, but if it tries and can't, no way to reconnect to the decos.
Options
2023-09-27 21:26:52

@flabbybuns Just wanted to do a quick follow up.

I've run another wifi analyzer for all signals in the area.

This Deco mesh system is NOT outputting 5ghz, only 2.4ghz. There is no Wifi channel for 5ghz, which explains why all my devices are being forced to crowd on the 2.4ghz.

I have the most recent firmware, so nothing to update. I have the settings set to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I'm not sure what else I can do. These devices do suck, so it comes as no suprise that the settings are lacking at best. (if you want to appreciate ASUS, by a TP-Link, any TP-Link)

Options
2023-09-28 05:32:12

@flabbybuns I've tried enabling the Guest Wifi and doing 5ghz only. Guess what, doesn't exist. No devices see it, and I checked on a bunch plus a wifi analyzer. These Decos just can't do 5ghz and I don't know why.

There is no 5ghz coming off this thing.

Options