EthernetBackhaul no longer working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-16 19:18:46
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230601 rel. 66771

Hello,

When I first connected my second XE75 Pro, it connected to the main Deco via ethernet backhaul without a problem.  The unit got moved and disconnected by accident and it went back to WiFi backhaul.  When I reconnected the second unit to ethernet, it did NOT go back to ethernet backhaul.  I tried rebooting and resetting the second unit, it still connects via wifi.  

I don't want to reset the main one, is there anything I can do?

Options
5 Reply
Re:EthernetBackhaul no longer working
2023-10-17 06:40:07

@NeedMoreHelp 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is the cable directly going from the main Deco to the second Deco XE75 pro?

Or Would the cable go through the wall sockets and network switches?

It is also suggested to change the Ethernet cables and switch to different Ethernet ports on the main and second Deco to see whether it helped.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-17 17:00:42

@David-TP 

Is the cable directly going from the main Deco to the second Deco XE75 pro? Or Would the cable go through the wall sockets and network switches?

The second Deco connects to the Main Deco through the wall, but directly to the Deco and not through a switch.  This worked before, there was a backhaul connection when I first connected them together through the wall.  It's when it got disconnected and reconnected that it never went back.  I have tried connecting it to a different port on the main Deco, AND connecting it to a switch as well.  None of it has worked.

It is also suggested to change the Ethernet cables and switch to different Ethernet ports on the main and second Deco to see whether it helped.

I've tried that as well.  What I'd like to do is remove the MAC address from the main Deco, so it sees the second one as something new.  But I don't see a way of doing that, without resetting the main Deco and having to reconfigure my network.  Also, I'm afraid that if the cable got disconnected again, I would run into the same issue.  Is there a way to clear the main Deco of it's knowledge of past connections?

Options
2023-10-17 17:18:57

@NeedMoreHelp,

I would recommend checking all of your connections and trying different ports as it is odd that it cannot recover its wired connection. I would recommend trying to plug in a laptop or PC at the location of your satellite Decos ethernet connection to see if you are able to receive an active internet connection through the wire. If you can, then you know that the Deco is, at the minimum, able to receive the network connection.

I would also recommend bringing the satellite Deco into the same room and testing with a completely different cable to ensure that the satellite can communicate with the main given an ideal condition.

The MAC address of a device is a permanent identifier. We only recommend changing the MAC address of the main deco when you are experiencing problems with your connection to the internet through your ISP, and this is only done through MAC cloning. Otherwise, you may consider deleting the node from the network, or resetting the Deco node and adding the node back to your network. There is a feature to swap the main node with the satellite and save your network settings, but this may not be a solution for what you are seeing.

Options
2023-10-17 17:25:33

@Riley_S 

A few things, and I apologize if I wasn't clear on my response.  The wall port AND the Main deco ports work, I already tried connecting my computer to them and it works just fine.  Also, again, that second Deco previously worked without an issue.

Also, I have switched cables, though again, it worked just fine with the previous cable.  But just in case, I did switch cables.

Lastly, I'm not asking to change the MAC address, I'm asking if I can clear the memory of previous MAC addresses (or clients) connecting from the main Deco.  Even when clients disconnect, I can still see them in the clients section.  They don't seem to ever time out.  That includes the second Deco, it's wired connection still shows up even though it's not using it, and even if I disconnect it.

I will try moving the satellite Deco into the same room, might as well, but it would be great if there was a way to clear the cache of previously connected clients from the main Deco.  

Options
2023-10-20 10:00:13 - last edited 2023-10-20 10:13:34

@NeedMoreHelp The wired connection of the second Deco is visible in the list of clients, like if it was not recognised as a paired Deco?  Is that wired connection associated with another MAC address than the MAC address usually showed for that Deco?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 570

Replies: 5

Related Articles