Deco XE5300 drops wired backhaul connection and disconnects from Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-22 19:25:44
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco XE5300(US)_V2.6_1.2.3 Build 20231011

I bought my Deco from Costco about I would say 4 to 5 weeks ago. I have been having this issue consistently since I set it up. I originally was running the previous 1.2.1 firmware on the Decos but upgraded to the new version when it came out. I only got one day of uptime before the wired backhaul failed and the internet went down with it. I thought the presence of some D-Link branded switches which were connected to some of the satalite decos were causing the issue since it doesn't support the wired backhaul protocol. However after switching those switches with some unmanaged netgear switches that should support the protocol (I checked via tcpdump) I am still getting the issue.

My ISP is Xfinity and I have my own modem which then connects to the main deco unit. From their I go to a unmanaged netgear switch which run to a patch panel and sends it two other unmanaged netgear switches which have the other decos units connected to them. To eliminate the issue of faulty cables I have tested each cable run with a tester I have and found nothing on that end. Before I had the Decos I was running the first gen Google Wifi mesh routers. I had problems with them as well, but I feel like that might have been attributed to the D-Link switches that were connected before. Since I went back and switched to those with relative stability for now. I prefer the Deco's software control over what the Google has to offer and since I can force device to certain Decos and also prevent other devices from switching at all. I would really like to keep the Decos rather than returning them back to Costco.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco XE5300 drops wired backhaul connection and disconnects from Internet
2023-11-23 10:04:33

@DaOfficialRolex 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

May know the model number of the unmanaged Netgear switch?

Is the current network layout like:

Internet--Xfinity modem--main Deco XE5300---1st Netgear switch----2nd Netgear switch---satellite XE5300#1

\-----satellite XE5300#2

How often have you noticed the satellite XE5300 would drop out of the Ethernet Backhaul?

Are you able to temporarily restore the Ethernet Backhaul by restarting the satellite Deco or unplugging/plugging the Ethernet cable?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-26 02:06:03 - last edited 2023-11-26 03:35:26

@David-TP Hello David sorry for the late reply.

The configuration for the Deco system goes like this

Internet--netgear modem with Xfinity ISP --main Deco XE5300---1st Netgear switch----2nd Netgear switch---satellite XE5300#1

\ Third Netgear switch -----satellite XE5300#2

I also have a netgear powerline that is going from the first switch. The Enternet Backhaul drops a lot regardless of the switch being in front and back of the deco. The first switch is a GS108 V4 with the 2nd and 3rd is a GS308 V3. I am not able to bring back the backhaul without completely restarting the decos and the switches they may be connected to again with the order of switches being in front or behind the decos. I am able to run tcpdump and see the successful packets for wired backhaul coming from the switch.The issue is pretty consistent sadly.

Options
2023-11-28 05:51:55

@David-TP I switched backed to the decos after coming back from my thanksgiving vacation. I did a recovery firmware update to insure there was no issue via updating. I got the same issues again after a couple hours of stability. I went into my WiFi setting via the app and screen shotted the IP settings. I noticed that the subnet mask that was being dynamically assigned from my modem didn't match what the deco had as a subnet mask for the lan ip settings. Shouldn't they be the same is my question especially if the decos are in router mode and is getting a dynamic ip from the ISP?

Options
2023-11-30 20:34:25 - last edited 2023-11-30 20:34:35

I'm also having ethernet backhaul problems with my PX50 mesh, makes me wonder if the latest firmware which had a bunch of new features is the cause.

Options
2023-12-01 16:58:59

@Alexmesh Ever since I set the LAN IP subnet mask to what the ISP dynamically assigned subnet mask was. I been having a pretty stable connection

Options
2023-12-01 17:00:28

@DaOfficialRolex Unfortunately I don't have that option in access point mode.

Options
2023-12-01 17:05:21

@Alexmesh Then it maybe worth trying to do a firmware recovery to the lastest firmware. Since I have read from some users that they had issues with updating their decos through the app and that it can introduce some bugs like that.

Options
2023-12-01 18:47:02

@DaOfficialRolex Source? I'm already updated to the latest but I used the web interface and uploaded the firmware upload file I got from from the website.

Options
2023-12-02 05:29:57

@David-TP I had the issue again with the wired backhaul failing again and reverted to the wireless backhaul. I fixed it by back power cycling the GS308s the satellites were connected to.

Options
2023-12-04 19:01:22

@DaOfficialRolex Maybe you should try removing those netgear switches and replace them with a cheap tplink switch (I had to do the same +_+), you can check out more details from this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/633502?replyId=1273000

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1037

Replies: 11

Related Articles