advise how to link 2 lans wirelessly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-30 06:05:43 - last edited 2024-02-06 20:15:16
Tags: #lan to lan
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.4 and 1.2.5

083020dfb005498b82de6c541afe5948

The Deco's settings are limited but I also own several smart switches to help.

In the diagram I am LAN 1 and my sister is LAN 2.

LAN 1 is mostly connected by gigabit ethernet, except for a few devices that is Wi-Fi & the detached office that is on the Deco Mesh network using (2) x50-Outdoor units.

• xxx.xxx.4.x

LAN 2 is solely Wi-Fi except the ISP running to the Main Deco m5 unit.

• xxx.xxx.68.x

I am wanting to share my game server with my nephews (next door). Not looking to sharing on public IP because we both have low speed internet and the LAN network is only limited by the Wi-Fi signal that should be (200+mbps) faster then going public route.  They are to far to run a cable across the yard. But they are able to connect to my Wi-Fi when needed. I do not want to be sharing my Wi-Fi with them all the time but just to have my game server available for them to connect when ever they like.  What are my options for doing this?  I am not very good with networking terms but I believe it is called a bridge?  On LAN 1 pretty sure that I can add access point.  But connecting from the LAN 2 side I am kinda at a loss since their network is all wireless.

The goal is to have a cross-platform game server running that everyone can see as a lan connection.  So they can reach it on their Nintendo Switch, Android Tablets, and PCs from their network and still use their internet to download games and updates.  I will also have devices that will connect to my game server on my lan.

Kinda confused how they can connect to IP xxx.xxx.68.5 and reach my game server at xxx.xxx.4.100?

Guessing I will need new hardware, setup VPN or VLAN and block internet access from devices connected from xxx.xxx.68.5?

Looking for recommendations, a guide and additional information would be helpful.  Kinda outside of my networking knowledge, I have used a bridge before I upgraded to the Mesh system to extend my network to a detached office about 300 ft away. But the entire network was in the same lan then, now I want to share just a game server with 2 lans.

UPDATE M5 are gone!!  replaced with X55

Options
9 Reply
Re:advise how to link 2 lans wirelessly
2024-01-31 06:47:28

@Yewtink 

Hi, There is a workaround for your reference:

I see there is a Deco X50-Outdoor in the Mesh system and it supports VPN server and client, but Deco M5 doesn't.

You might need to separate these two Deco X50-outdoor, like one in your house as the main Deco, the other in your nephews' place as the main Deco.

After that, you could set your Deco X50-out as the OpenVPN server, and the other Deco X50-out as the OpenVPN client.

Deco VPN Configuration Guide

PS: please also make sure on both sides, the Deco could get a public IP address to avoid "Double NAT" issue.

How to find out whether you have a double NAT?

Compare the IP address on whatismyipaddress with the IPV4 address on the Deco APP>More>Internet Connection>IPV4.

If they are different, you are very likely to have a double NAT.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-31 07:22:51

@David-TP 

By setting the X50 as the main wouldn't the traffic then be going over my ISP?  I can't physically swap my m5 & x50 but I have been looking into getting a netgate router and downgrading the decos to access points.

So basically I need 2 devices that support   a VPN server? Connect one to each network and they should connect to each other?  I believe I have some old linksys WRT routers I can try and test out.

Options
2024-01-31 15:34:05

@Yewtink 

Are the IP addresses xxx.xxx.4.x and xxx.xxx.68.x public or private addresses?

On the LAN side, I expect you are using private addresses, frequently addresses starting with 192.168.
You can share those addresses on this forum, they are isolated from Internet.

One way to achieve what you want is to connect the game server to both LANs, via two interfaces, each interface having a private IP address on its LAN.  Such a multi homed server must be carefully configured.  This is not supported by all OS.

Options
2024-01-31 19:28:56

@yves_b  @David-TP 

Are the IP addresses xxx.xxx.4.x and xxx.xxx.68.x public or private addresses?

On the LAN side, I expect you are using private addresses, frequently addresses starting with 192.168.
You can share those addresses on this forum, they are isolated from Internet.

Yes they are local,

LAN 1 is 192.168.4.X

LAN 2 is 192.168.68.X

Trigkey-g5-mini-pc-w11-desktop-12th-gen-intel-n100-4core-up-to-3-4ghz-16g-ddr4-500g-pcie1-ssd-dual-ethernet-mini-computer-support-micro-computer-w10-pro-wifi-6-bt5-2-dual-hdmi-triple-screen-output

This is what I am using as a game server it has 2 NIC, plus built in WiFi.  I need to test and see if the Wi-Fi is strong enough to connect LAN 2 by wifi and LAN 1 by ethernet.  I have never shared a server with 2 LANs, usually just one static IP and everything was using a single IP.  Didn't know what will change being on LAN 1 at one address then on LAN 2 with a different address.  Best that I can recall inside the ini file for one of the games I had to enter what the IP address the game will be using.  At the time my hardware was so old it could not even run one server so I never tried added the 2nd game.

Didn't know if it will accept 2 IPs or if I would have to configure a link saying for example: 192.168.68.50 = 192.168.4.100.

Running a Minecraft Bedrock Server off Windows 11 Pro or Ubuntu haven't really decided yet.

Options
2024-02-01 19:02:40

@David-TP 

I am tired of messing with the Decos M5 they struggle to handle my network,  I just purchased to the Deco x55 (3 pack).  So I will be replacing my (2) M5's and adding (1) X55 to my sisters network.  So I can alteast add VPN server and have the same gen mesh as the X50-Outdoor.

Will the VPN allow connection between 2 LAN networks without going out over WAN?

Options
2024-02-06 09:50:10

@Yewtink 

Hi, 

For OpenVPN server +OpenVPN Client on Deco, you are able to configura the client access, such as "Home Network Only" or "Internet and Home Network".

So you should be able to set VPN Client Deco X50 not  going out over WAN.

Options
2024-02-06 10:36:32

@David-TP 

I believe the question is "Will the VPN tunnel (the VPN traffic between the two main Deco) go via Internet, or via the local connection between the two LANs?", while your answer is about possible access to Internet via the VPN tunnel (one device on one Deco network accessing Internet via the other deco network, via the VPN tunnel).

How can one Deco VPN client access another Deco VPN server via the LANs?  How would you interconnect the two LANs, and define the routing allowing that?

Options
2024-02-07 03:21:14

@yves_b 

Hi, there is no physical connection between LAN 1(192.168.4.X) and LAN 2(192.168.68.X). So you are right that Deco#2 needs to have internet first before being able to connect to the VPN server.  Later once the encrypted VPN tunnel is created, for the end devices, like your computers, as long as it is on the local network of Deco#2, they don't need to have internet.

Please feel free to let me know whether there is any misunderstanding.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-07 04:50:14

@David-TP 

But seems like it would still go out over lan 1 by WAN.  I don't understand how it can understand the networks are close together and go from my router to theirs.  You also mentioned a computer.  I will be hosting from my computer but the will be playing from different devices.  Nintendo Switch and Android tablets currently. 

I am just now learning about vlans guessing the Nintendo Switch connects their X55 VLAN client as a member? And it will direct all the traffic from their 192.168.68.100 to mine at 192.168.4.1?  Seems like I would need an access point for them to connect to?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 643

Replies: 9

Tags

lan to lan
Related Articles