Satellites don't show up as online and won't update to the latest firmware.

2024-02-02 20:57:18
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.9 Build 20231225 Rel. 57498

Hi -

Neither of my satellites shows up as online in the app and won't upgrade to the latest firmware.   They are both connected via wired backhaul.  I know they are working because I can plug devices into their ethernet ports and access the network as expected.

My main node is running 1.2.9 Build 20231225 Rel. 57498.  My satellites are one revision older because the main updated, but these can't.

I've tried plugging the satellites directly into the main node via ethernet and they are still not showing up as online.  

Any suggestions?  I'm about ready to throw them out the window...

Options
2 Reply
Re:Satellites don't show up as online and won't update to the latest firmware.
2024-02-03 19:06:54

CarlSampson wrote

Any suggestions?  I'm about ready to throw them out the window...

@CarlSampson 

Welcome to the club. I've been stuck in this cycle for going on 3 months, but I didn't pay anything for the BE95 (main) (3) XE75Pros and (2)X50-Outdoor units I'm currently using at home, but the autistic network engineer in me refuses to admit defeat. More importantly, I'm determined to get to the bottom of the half-dozen "anomalies" I've caught with my own log collectors. 

I'm not going to expand on that until I have some solid evidence of what is actually happening and exhausted all other possibilities which is difficult when the logs are feeding you complete bull**** and flat out fabricating events. Why tho? 

These are issues plenty of other people are experiencing so I'm confident some version of the truth will come out eventually. 

The more likely scenario is that we'll never really know since these are things that are inherently shrouded in doubt. And the "proof", if you will, is not accessible on the client side. Not legally at least. I'm going to stop here on that particular subject. 

What can and has been proven (at least as it pertains to deco) is the mesh technology, the band steering (I use the term loosely), and the absurdly aggressive and uncontrollable roaming policies were written on a napkin with a broken crayon. 

Full disclosure, I have been building out data centers for the Dept of Defense (mostly Army and USAF) for way too long. 

I've seen blatant incompetence at all levels. If you knew the people responsible for maintaining the security and integrity of this country's most crucial and sensitive intelligence networks, you wouldn't sleep at night. Still, there was some sort of reasoning (no matter how asinine) for whatever half-cocked remediation solution was chosen (and ultimately failed). You at least knew the reasoning behind why that network operator chose to drop entire tables from random DBs in response to an outage. 

With TPLink, all I can do is speculate. We're talking updates that made it all the way through development and ultimately checked into production. Updates that a junior level developer would glance at and immediately sprint in the opposite direction regardless of the crayon or structural integrity of the napkin. 

3 months later, not only is it still happening, but it seems to be getting more frequent and more deliberate. 

I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but I refuse to believe this is all just a coincidence or a skill set issue. TPLink employs plenty of extremely bright people. Hell, the guy who taught me just about everything I know is an executive on the consumer side of the house. He wouldn't urinate (really? I can't say pea) on some of this code to [put out] a fire . So wth is going on? Is there some mutiny among developers that is causing them to deliberately make the product less intuitive and more of a pain in this a**? Bad actors?

No one wins here. No one ties. Everyone loses. So why?

It can't be some bizarrely self-destructive yet roundabout way to cut AI off at the knees. That ship sailed years ago.

China?

Maybe in a decade or so, the truth will come out that this was a social experiment to test humanities depths of stupidity?

It's all a zero sum game now, boys. 

I don't expect I'll ever know the answer to any of this. Im going to give these another week or so in the event one of the APs transforms into Optimus Prime. All outcomes hold pretty equal odds at this point so why not??

Seriously though, TP Link. What are you guys doing?

Options
Re:Satellites don't show up as online and won't update to the latest firmware.
2024-02-04 06:58:51

@CarlSampson 

Hi, How about the LED status on the satellite Deco XE75 PRO? Are they flashing red?

Is there any customized home firewall system or DNS server? I used to see one feedback before that the customized DNS server might filter the online detection DNS requests from satellite Deco.

Have you tried to log into the web UI of Deco via http://tplinkdeco.net to see how many Deco displayed on the web UI?

If satellite Deco units aren't offline, I think there should be 3 on the local web UI and you could also see the IP address of each satellite XE75 Pro.

It is also suggested to install the beta firmware here:

Optimize The Overall App Experience on Deco XE5300/XE75/XE75 Pro

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options