BE550 and MBP M2 - keeps losing connection

2024-02-22 19:02:46 - last edited 2024-02-22 19:06:32
Tags: #Firmware Update #Wi-Fi 6E #MacBook Pro M2
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20240119 rel.56399(5553)

Recently switched over from a Netgear R8000 and R7000 (as AP) to a BE550. Updated firmware, and by keeping the SSID the same, the upgrade was smooth.

Now making sure my devices all use the best capabilities this new router has to offer. The Macbook Pro M2 from 2023 is capable of using Wifi-6E.

Enabled the 6GHz band, and I have named the 6ghz SSID the same as the 5Ghz/2.4GHz bands. Looked at the networks, and the 6GHz shows up. It takes multiple times before the laptop can connect - Mac OS basically spinning for a bit, and then ignoring that i clicked on connecting. After two or three tries, it sticks, and i can enter the password to connect.

After a while (often quickly, within minutes from connecting) it loses the wifi connection. And i need to go back, clikc on the available network, and click a couple of times before the laptop connects agan.

The list of clients shows that i'm connected, shows i'm using 6G, and shows a healthy up/download.

But then it loses connection again.

I'll go back to having the laptop connect via the 5GHz, maybe until the next firmware update?

Anyone else running into this issue?

ETA: i do not have this issue with devices connected via the 2.4 / 5 GHz bands. Those connections are rock solid.

Options
5 Reply
Re:BE550 and MBP M2 - keeps losing connection
2024-02-23 03:46:08

@TheRealRoland 

Hi, could you please change the 6GHz WiFi SSID to be different from 2.4G/5G WiFi? then check if the 6GHz WiFi connects fine and stable on the Macbook Pro M2

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-20 15:59:02

@TheRealRoland this is a shot in the dark, but have you tried disabling the EasyMesh setting? In the web interface, it is advanced, EasyMesh.

By disabling this, it solved most of my wireless issues.

Options
2024-03-25 15:03:09

Apologies for the radio silence.

I've disabled EasyMesh (since i only have one router, the other one is a NetGear one, wired, running as an accesspoint with a different ssid (very old 2.4GHz devices)).

Also have enabled the 6GHz band, and made it a different SSID from the 2.4/5GHz one already running.

Reset the router, and now let's see what happens. Will report back.

Options
2024-03-25 15:13:40 - last edited 2024-03-25 15:19:33

So now i remember: when setting the SSIDs differently for 5 and 6GHz, you'll get a 'warning' on your wifi connection on the MBP, stating "Limited Compatibility" And when the SSIDs are the same, you don't get that message. But if the stability of the connection is better when having different SSIDs, i'll take it.

EDIT:

"This network is configured with a separate network name for 6GHz, whic may impact some experiences like AirPlay. If this is your wifi network, configure the router to use a single network name for all bands"

Options
2024-03-25 15:15:54
And one more thing - the loss of connection could also have been caused by the renewal of the DNS lease. It seems to be very invasive where the connection is dropped, and then reconnected. On other routers it didn't seem this abrupt. So instead what i've done for almost all the other devices on my network, is to reserve an IP address.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 269

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles