Trend Micro Antivirus continues to annoy
Trend Micro Antivirus continues to annoy
2024-03-11 22:14:14
Tags: #Antivirus
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.7

There's a locked thread from 2018 that goes as follows:

TP-Link Archer A2300 - Parental control - Trend Micro list blocks sites unnecessarily

It appears that with parental control turned on that some Christian (religious) websites are being blocked... Questions: 1. Is there a way to whitelist sites in this router so that the parental controls are still on, but I am able to connect to sites that I know are safe? 2. Is there a way to contact Trend Micro to petition them to remove their listing (blocking) of certain websites simply because they are "Christian" (religious)? It seems that they allow some morally-questionable sites while blocking sites that are of no threat to anyone? I've trying searching for ways to communicate with Trend Micro on this issue, but can't find the proper link. - Thank you

And in 2020 there's a thread to the effect that even with the whole antivirus panel turned off, the router continues to filter traffic.

Now here we are in 2024 and none of this has been addressed: notthebee[dot]com (a newsfeed with conservative bias) is contantly being blocked for "spam" -- that a well-established site like that can be blocked is outrageous. I spent a bunch of time on the Trend Micro site trying to find a way to politely say "hey, you've made a mistake here," but they don't seem to provide a point of contact for such issues.

TP-Link needs to either...

1. get Trend Micro to fix this
  2. ditch Trend Micro and go with a vendor that is responsive
  3. give TP-Link customers a way to contact Trend Micro directly with complaints

I like my Archer C2300, it's performed admirably and I'm not really thinking I need a new router, but this ongoing issue has me ready to replace it and put TP-Link products on my "never buy from them again" list.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Trend Micro Antivirus continues to annoy
2024-03-12 10:13:08

@mstrange 

If you encounter unnecessary website blocks by Trend Micro's HomeCare Antivirus or parental control features, please follow these steps:

For HomeCare Antivirus:

1. Disable the Antivirus feature temporarily:

If a website is being blocked by the Antivirus feature, it indicates that the website is listed as a malicious site in Trend Micro's database. You can disable the Antivirus feature temporarily to access the blocked website. Remember to re-enable it afterward for continued protection.

2. Test and reclassify the blocked website:

Visit the website https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com and test the blocked website to determine its category. Once you have identified the category, you can apply a different classification to the website that won't trigger the Antivirus blocking. This will allow you to access the website without interference.

For HomeCare Parental Control:

1. Check the Parental Control profile:

Verify if you have set a Parental Control profile for the device that is unable to access a specific website. If a profile is in place, remove the device from the parental control profile temporarily to confirm if it resolves the issue.

2. Review blocked categories:

If the Parental Control feature is blocking the website without explicit blocking on your part, it might be categorized within the blocked categories you have set.

To address this, visit the website https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com and determine the category of the blocked website. Then, navigate to the Parental Control settings and remove the specific category from the filtering level. This will allow access to the website while maintaining other blocked categories.

Options
Re:Trend Micro Antivirus continues to annoy
2024-03-12 19:43:03

@Sunshine

Thanks for the suggestions. Point by point:

For HomeCareAntivirus:

1. Disable feature temporarily: This would work, but when it is disabled, all content is allowed, even things that are legitimately classified as "not safe." Also, considering that either my wife or I visit this site randomly throughout the day, having to constantly log in and toggle the setting is not really a viable solution.
  2. Test and reclassify site: First: thank you!! for providing a link to a trendmicro page where I can find information about the site status. I looked all over their site and found no link to that page. (I'll readily admit that I may have just overlooked it, but either way, thanks!) Now, I visited that page and checked the site. The result is "safe: The latest tests indicate that this URL contains no malicious software and shows no signs of phishing." And yet, it continues to be blocked by the "Malicious content filter" (Since I posted my first message, I've discovered that only the Malicious content filter needs to be disabled. The other switches can remain active and not interfere.)

As I am typing this, I am loading pages that the trend micro site says are "safe" and then checking the router and seeing it be added to the "Protection History" list as "Spam." The HomeCare Antivirus page says (at the bottom) that "Security database is up-to-date. Last checked: Yesterday, 9:08AM." Now maybe trend micro cleared the site since yesterday, but then the claim that my database is up-to-date is false. Again, thanks for the useful page, and I will monitor the situation more closely, now that I have this tool available.

For HomeCare Parental Control: There are no parental controls set at all. (It's just me and my wife on the network.) This does make me wonder whether setting up a parental control for "something else" would somehow convince the router that "the adults" are allowed to access content for a "news/media" site.

Options