M5 in Access Mode using same SSID as existing ATT Gateway router

2024-04-30 19:03:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.4

Trying to setup a 3 pack of M5's in Access Mode - original desire was to use these as extensions for my existing router wifi network and allow my existing router to continue provide wifi coverage as well as manage network traffice. However, the decos demand that a 'new' network be created when setting them up - that said, once I setup up a new SSID for the deco's (they are in ethernet backhaul as all locations have existing network cable/jacks), then I configured to Access Mode - however, it appears wifi devices will have to 'jump' to the newly created network to realize any wifi signal strength gained? - has anyone else been able to setup up the M5's in Access Mode, but on an EXISTING SSID network?

BTW, the existing modem/router is an ATT BGW320-500 gateway.

thanks in advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:M5 in Access Mode using same SSID as existing ATT Gateway router
2024-04-30 19:54:58

@nuclearjames 

IP Passthrough function is to use for example a 3-rd party mesh system behind it - check this article - <https>://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500000066642-BGW320

Using IP Passthrough yiou can use the Deco in router mode. If you have problems with double NAT check the following thread:

<https>://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/double-nat-on-bgw320505-with-tplink-mesh-wifi/65ece8bb4b1a19097b61c387

In either case it's best to disable ATT BGW320-500 wireless radio and use the Deco wireless SSID only.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:M5 in Access Mode using same SSID as existing ATT Gateway router
2024-05-01 12:08:55 - last edited 2024-05-01 12:12:36

@nuclearjames You can configure the Deco SSID (wifi name) to be identical to the SSID of the AT&T modem. 

If you did not do that initially, you can change it now.
It is highly recommended to disable the wifi on the modem.

The Deco mesh does not work as an extension to a non-Deco wifi network.  If you want to obtain the benefits of a mesh, you must only use the wifi from the Deco.

"Access Point" does not mean "wifi extender", it means that the Deco will not act as a router, will not distribute IP addresses via DHCP, ...

Options