wifi incorrect password, but its correct

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-10 14:10:19
Model: Archer AX4400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230119 rel.35540(5553)

All of a sudden the router is telling me the password is incorrect on all my devices.  No changes were made.  The password is saved on the computers/phones so it cannot be incorrect. 

I manually connected using a computer and Ethernet cord to the router and was able to web access the section for wifi and I changed the password to something different, saved.  Then changed it back to the original password that is saved on all the devices.  It works for about 5 minutes, then the devices start saying incorrect password again. 

The password listed in the web interface is correct and the devices are correct, but the router isn't accepting it.

Things I tried to correct it:

1.  reboot router

2.  update firmware to the current version listed below (it was on previous version when it happened the first time)

3.  factory reset

After re-setting up the router multiple times, nothing has worked.  Router was purchased new 30 days ago.

Archer AX4400 v1.0

1.2.2 Build 20230119 rel.35540(5553)

Options
2 Reply
Re:wifi incorrect password, but its correct
2023-04-10 19:49:33

@Jetman44,

I would have expected a complete factory reset to fix anything like this. Do you have anything unique about your network configuration, such as connected APs or Range Extenders? I would recommend removing any devices that may be extending your wireless network to see if they are the cause of being unable to change the password?

While I am not looking for specifics, you may try to either shorten your password, or choose a password that only has alpha-numeric characters, as extensive passwords can sometimes cause devices to not connect to the network.

After resetting, try deleting the SSID from the list of saved networks. Your devices may be using an older certificate from a previous reset, which would cause the reconnect to fail as soon as the lease were to expire and it needs to refresh.

Also, after resetting, is the password just returning to the default username/password when you try to change it? 

Try setting up your guest network to see if the behavior follows, if there is no issue, there may be a setting causing these issue.

Options
Re:wifi incorrect password, but its correct
2023-04-11 13:06:42

@Riley_S I did have a tplink range extender, but it was unplugged during the troubleshooting process.  I also unplugged the cables from the router to the other computers in the house to simplify the troubleshooting process.

Yes, after resetting the password went back to the default, listed on the sticker under the router.

True, the devices would be using an older certificate, but they do connect, thus they are able to connect.  And work for a few minutes, then stop working.  

ssid is very short.  only 4 characters, all letters.

password is also short, 6 letter characters + 1 number (no special characters

I ended up buying another router, same model from Walmart and it is working perfectly.  Same configuration, same wifi ssid, same pass, etc.  

I did not try the guest network advice.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5508

Replies: 2

Related Articles