XE200's having low DL/UL speeds. Firmware questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-14 14:23:31 - last edited 2023-04-14 14:46:32
Tags: #Firmware Update #Performance issues
Model: Deco XE200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6_1.0.2

Hey everyone, just received my XE200's yesterday and got them setup.  

When downloading literally anything, it's hovering around 20 - 250 Mbps.  I'm used to 500+ Mbps with the devices that are wired (That's what my old eero's and even the amplifi aliens were pulling).  My speeds feel like they're 1/4 of what they should be (I have symmetrical gig up/down speeds).  

The wifi performance is even worse, it barely goes above 100 Mbps, usually hovers around the 40-50 mark.

Also, I look at the firmware update page and it shows there's a new version available to manually download.  Does the in app update take a while to show that there's a new firmware?  It's saying that "You're on the current firmware" which shows 1.6_1.0.2, but in reality it's 1.6_1.1.1.

So far the speed has been terribly dissapointing, not sure if there's something in the firmware that's causing this or what the deal is.

I've rebooted the XE200 units, rebooted the modem from my ISP, contacted my ISP to make sure it wasn't an issue on their end, and even tried new cables, nothing seems to be helping the slow DL/UL speeds on wired and wireless performance.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

P.S. the hardware version of my units is NOT V1, it's V1.6 (wouldn't let me select that in the drop down).

Options
6 Reply
Re:XE200's having low DL/UL speeds. Firmware questions.
2023-04-14 17:35:05

@BigBode manually download that firmware update, and then log into the Main Deco directly using your browser at 192.168.68.1, and then tap on the 3 lines in the top left. Then tap on Advanced, System, Ifrnware Upgrade. From there you can manually upgrade your firmware. 

Most of the time firmware updates drop on Fridays, but this one did NOT; I suspect that is why the Deco app doesn't see it yet. I've already installed the update, and it works fine, with noticeable improvements in speed and responsiveness.

Is your modem just a modem, or does it also have router capabilities?  If the latter, put the modem-router combo into bridge mode, and that should help with your speeds. 

Let us know if this helps, or have more questions. 

Options
2023-04-14 18:25:39

@Richardj186 I did as you mentioned in regards to the firmware and that did the trick, thanks!

My ISP provided me just a modem with no router functionality, I will say after doing the firmware update I'm getting roughly 20-350 Mbps now.  Still nowhere near what my speeds should be, but maybe I just have to give it time to learn my devices and map out the network, idk.  I've tried looking at the settings and don't really see anything that would cause the speed to be so slow.

Richardj186 wrote

@BigBode manually download that firmware update, and then log into the Main Deco directly using your browser at 192.168.68.1, and then tap on the 3 lines in the top left. Then tap on Advanced, System, Ifrnware Upgrade. From there you can manually upgrade your firmware. 

Most of the time firmware updates drop on Fridays, but this one did NOT; I suspect that is why the Deco app doesn't see it yet. I've already installed the update, and it works fine, with noticeable improvements in speed and responsiveness.

Is your modem just a modem, or does it also have router capabilities?  If the latter, put the modem-router combo into bridge mode, and that should help with your speeds. 

Let us know if this helps, or have more questions. 

Options
2023-04-14 18:54:33

@BigBode,

I would expect your wired devices, as long as they are wired to the main unit, should be seeing higher speeds than what you are indicating. I would first go and check the QoS settings for your network and try setting the QoS manually to what you expect to receive from your ISP.

I would also recommend trying to use one of the other ethernet ports on the main Deco for your modem, all the ethernet ports will automatically configure themselves for a WAN or LAN connection.

With the numbers you are indicating, i would guess that the port negotiation is not using the correct values, such as using 1000mbps Half Duplex, which would cap your speeds at 500, with the bandwidth beginning to decrease from 500mbps rather than from 1000mbps.

You may try connecting a device directly to the modem to make sure that your modem is still able to negotiate the full speeds through its ethernet port. I also usually recommend, as most of our units are sold as a pack, to try and swap an identical unit for the main unit, as this may fix any negotiation problems.

That firmware version was actually just pushed to the official branch last week, so it may not have been rolled out to your account yet, especially if it is a new account. You may try changing the DNS server of the network to a common service to see if the update will appear. I have seen other users report that the DNS server they had been using caused problems when downloading new firmware updates.

Options
2023-04-14 19:01:07
@BigBode great!! Something else you can try to speed things up is changing your DNS service. The three that seem to do the best are Cloudflare, Google DNS, and Quad9. All three are free with Clouflare and Quad9 providing excellent support from malware; Quad9 is based in Switzerland and as a result provides the best privacy protection of the three as well. Before you ask, I use Quad9. The DNS settings in the Deco app under More>Internet Connection. Tap on the IPv4/IPv6 tab to set the Primary and Secondary DNS. Set DNS Address to Manual free tapping in Primary, then type in the primary and secondary DNS server addresses. Hit Save/Done and that's it.
Options
2023-04-15 02:47:12

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply!  The wired devices are on the slave unit, but the slave unit is on Ethernet backbone.

I tried swapping out everything, the units themselves, the cables and different ports, still the same results.

I checked the ISP modem and the speeds were good to go as well.

not sure what else to try, but i'm open to anything!  Is there a support log or something that I can send support for the engineers to read?  Just to see if something fishy is going on?

Riley_S wrote

@BigBode,

I would expect your wired devices, as long as they are wired to the main unit, should be seeing higher speeds than what you are indicating. I would first go and check the QoS settings for your network and try setting the QoS manually to what you expect to receive from your ISP.

I would also recommend trying to use one of the other ethernet ports on the main Deco for your modem, all the ethernet ports will automatically configure themselves for a WAN or LAN connection.

With the numbers you are indicating, i would guess that the port negotiation is not using the correct values, such as using 1000mbps Half Duplex, which would cap your speeds at 500, with the bandwidth beginning to decrease from 500mbps rather than from 1000mbps.

You may try connecting a device directly to the modem to make sure that your modem is still able to negotiate the full speeds through its ethernet port. I also usually recommend, as most of our units are sold as a pack, to try and swap an identical unit for the main unit, as this may fix any negotiation problems.

That firmware version was actually just pushed to the official branch last week, so it may not have been rolled out to your account yet, especially if it is a new account. You may try changing the DNS server of the network to a common service to see if the update will appear. I have seen other users report that the DNS server they had been using caused problems when downloading new firmware updates.

Options
2023-04-15 02:48:26

@Richardj186 

Richardj186 wrote

@BigBode great!! Something else you can try to speed things up is changing your DNS service. The three that seem to do the best are Cloudflare, Google DNS, and Quad9. All three are free with Clouflare and Quad9 providing excellent support from malware; Quad9 is based in Switzerland and as a result provides the best privacy protection of the three as well. Before you ask, I use Quad9. The DNS settings in the Deco app under More>Internet Connection. Tap on the IPv4/IPv6 tab to set the Primary and Secondary DNS. Set DNS Address to Manual free tapping in Primary, then type in the primary and secondary DNS server addresses. Hit Save/Done and that's it.

thanks for the tip!  I researched the different DNS services and decided to go with cloudflare, thanks for the help on that!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 6

Tags

Firmware Update
Performance issues
Related Articles