New AX1800 Shuts Down Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-30 00:32:34 - last edited 2023-05-01 19:40:45

Installed a new AX1800 today to replace a Specturm wifi 6.    Went smoothly.   Connected iti to ethernedt on my PC to do the 192.168.1.1 set-up.   Default MAC didn't match the device label, so I used the one from the label and we got connected.   Went around the house and checked all my devices.

NOw wi-fi is working fine - - - - but killed my ethernet.    To make sure it wasn't a PC problem, I unplugged the AX1800, set up the Spectrum router (which I still had), activated it, and ethernet worked.  As long as it was working, I plugged AX1800 back-in, did the 192.168.1.1 network naming procedure.  BTW, I use a separate net for 2.4 and for 5.

Again - - - - all wifi connections hot and well.   But ethernet died.

So--- does this sound like a take-it back issue?   It's such a bizarre glitch I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.   Maybe in the tplinkwifi.net dance I unset something?    I've looked at it with my cell phone (the wifi on my PC won't go to it now that it's running) and everything looks OK.

Anything obvious that anyone can share?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New AX1800 Shuts Down Ethernet-Solution
2023-05-01 19:38:09 - last edited 2023-05-01 19:40:47

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Somewhere along the line, in connecting the old Spectrum router back to test the ethernet adapter in the PC and then switching back and setting up the AX1800 from scratch, I moved the ethernet cable.   When it came up after the 2nd reset, I then tried a laptop with an RJ-45 connector, which did work.   So I knew the 1800 had a good connection.

(I had plugged my own PC into the 2nd e-net  connector on the 1800.)    When I plugged the PC back into 1st connector, no joy.   But then I remembered that most switching technology devices (like the USB on a PC), will "remember" the last outlet used.   So I just re-booted the 1800 - - - - - - works fine.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.  Just takes some time to learn all the nuances of a device.   I'm still puzzled why it wanted to bring up an incorrect MAC addr during setup, but keying in the MAC from the label works so that doesn't bear any investigation I guess.

I DID take your advice on forgetting from the wifi devices.  I bought the 1800 specifically because the Spectrum router wouldn't reach 2 firesticks and 1 smart TV.   On those 3 I did a "forget" and re-connected.     Perfect!    For some reason, the old Spectrum router kept sending a 5 ghz signal to the firesticks, and they were too far away for that.   Since I left the 1800 in manual selectin mode, they can get 2.4 and work perfectly.

Thanks again for your support.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:New AX1800 Shuts Down Ethernet
2023-05-01 19:03:16

@old_texan,

Definitely an odd case - I would first try to see if it is more so that the ports are not transmitting data, or if the Ethernet connections simply cannot connect to the internet.

I would try to ping the devices or router from a wired PC, as this will tell you if it can even see the router.

I would also recommend that you try forgetting any sort of network connections on your wired device as there may be a conflict that is occurring. 

Lastly, I want to confirm that you have placed your network switch/wired devices downstream of your Archer router, and that you have enabled bridge or passthrough mode on your Spectrum Gateway(if it can provide a wireless connection) to make sure that there are no address conflicts occurring.

Options
Re:New AX1800 Shuts Down Ethernet-Solution
2023-05-01 19:38:09 - last edited 2023-05-01 19:40:47

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Somewhere along the line, in connecting the old Spectrum router back to test the ethernet adapter in the PC and then switching back and setting up the AX1800 from scratch, I moved the ethernet cable.   When it came up after the 2nd reset, I then tried a laptop with an RJ-45 connector, which did work.   So I knew the 1800 had a good connection.

(I had plugged my own PC into the 2nd e-net  connector on the 1800.)    When I plugged the PC back into 1st connector, no joy.   But then I remembered that most switching technology devices (like the USB on a PC), will "remember" the last outlet used.   So I just re-booted the 1800 - - - - - - works fine.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.  Just takes some time to learn all the nuances of a device.   I'm still puzzled why it wanted to bring up an incorrect MAC addr during setup, but keying in the MAC from the label works so that doesn't bear any investigation I guess.

I DID take your advice on forgetting from the wifi devices.  I bought the 1800 specifically because the Spectrum router wouldn't reach 2 firesticks and 1 smart TV.   On those 3 I did a "forget" and re-connected.     Perfect!    For some reason, the old Spectrum router kept sending a 5 ghz signal to the firesticks, and they were too far away for that.   Since I left the 1800 in manual selectin mode, they can get 2.4 and work perfectly.

Thanks again for your support.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 2

Related Articles