Which tp-link for a wifi to ethernet bridge connecting to a Deco XE75 Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-10 13:20:17
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a stereo cabinet with a few ethernet only (or very poor wifi) devices that I want to bridge onto my XE75 pro network.  I suppose I could buy another XE75 and put it in wireless mesh mode, but I'd rather have a cheap device that just connects and bridges. 

Due to how 802.11 expects the source mac address to be the wifi station and not any bridged devices behind it, vendors usually provide some proprietary extension to their 802.11 implementation to add the bridged device mac address to the frame and strip off the station mac address at the access point.  So the question is, would a X20 operate with my XE75 in this mode?

In other words, if I buy an X20, can I tell it to only be a station bridge and use it to get my ethernet stuff on the wifi  network?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Which tp-link for a wifi to ethernet bridge connecting to a Deco XE75 Pro
2023-11-10 15:32:32 - last edited 2023-11-10 15:37:59

@akschu If you configure the XE20 as a satellite of the XE75 (in wireless mesh mode), it will work as you want.

The two Deco will collaborate to get your ethernet stuff on the wifi network.

Options
2023-11-10 17:25:11

Wouldn't setting up the new box in satellite mode make it into another access point?  Can I disable the access point feature to ensure it's just a station-bridge?

Options
2023-11-10 18:09:03

@akschu 

I am not sure what you mean exactly by "station bridge".

A Deco satellite node works almost like an access point, indeed.  And this is exactly what you need.

The difference between a regular Access Point and a Deco satellite, is the collaboration between the satellite Deco and the main Deco.  They will dynamically adapt their bachhaul, and will provide a seamless roaming to devices moving between the Deco. 

Actually, you could use any access point to achieve what you want.

You want to create a space where devices can communicate using their MAC addresses.

You can achieve that by combining access points and switches.  Both appliances extend the broadcast space, the LAN, or the subnet.

Bridges are useful when you have networks with different technology.

Ethernet and wifi are, from this perspective, a single technology.

Your ISP modem can sometimes act as a bridge.  Usually, it rather acts as a router.

Options
2023-11-10 18:56:21

@yves_b 

It is not what I need, I don't want wifi clients picking this new satellite only to have the frame relayed which burns the avaiable wifi bandwidth twice.

No, I can't use any access point to achieve what I want.  The 802.11 protocol doesn't bridge well because the src mac address of the frame must be the access point, not the wired device behind it.  Read more here: https://tinyurl.com/2ms5t85m

Most access point vendors modify the protocol slightly to add the 4th mac address so that you can bridge, in the link above it's called station-bridge, but it only works when you use the same vendor for the AP and station.

The TP-link deco obviously does something like this so that you can plug ethernet hosts into the access point, but I don't know if any deco device will act like a layer 2 bridge between any other deco device, and even if it does, if I can disable the access point feature so that I'm not burning the bandwidth twice.

I guess I should have just known better and bought cambium, ubuiqiti, mikrotik, etc.  Egg is on me for buying home user wifi gear.

Options
2023-11-10 19:11:22 - last edited 2023-11-10 19:23:17

@akschu I do not undertand why you refer to MikroTik.  Do you have MikroTik appliances?

Options
2023-11-10 19:39:16

@akschu 

A mesh of Deco will transmit traffic between two devices connected on the mesh, as well as the traffic between any device and the Internet.

That is the purpose of a mesh.

Options
2023-11-10 23:54:10

nevermind.... 

Options
2023-11-11 06:16:25

@akschu 

A Deco mesh will, collectively, act like a single Access Point or as a single Router.

An satellite Deco does not act as an individual Access Point.

Options
2023-11-13 07:55:02

@akschu 

Hi, Deco X20 could not work as a station bridge when working with Deco XE75. It would still broadcast its own Wi-Fi and its wireless speed, as you worried, would be reduced due to the 802.11 wireless protocol.

If you just want to provide an Ethernet connection for wired clients, I think you could consider a pair of powerline adapters, like TL-PA9020P KIT

Deco XE75---main adapter~~~<powerline system>~~~powerline extender---wired equipments

Or TL-WA3001 in client mode.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 759

Replies: 9

Related Articles