Archer GE800 - BE19000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router

Archer GE800 - BE19000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router

13 Reply
Re:Archer GE800 - BE19000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router
2024-07-22 22:28:19

@Richardj186,

Awesome to hear, and I am surprised to hear that it is out performing a BE800 as the two are actually pretty similar. Maybe due to the more spread design of the antennae?

I had heard of 6E Devices maintaining their connectivity over surprising distances, even as a backhaul, but have always been skeptical due to the nature of the frequency. If this is the case across the board when it comes to Wi-Fi 7, we will hopefully begin to see more devices take advantage of the frequency soon.

Out of curiosity, would you say that the 6GHz network range and performance are now comparable to your reception for 5GHz in previous Wi-Fi generations? Or do you still see considerable performance decreases as you move away from your router?

Options
2024-07-22 23:20:37

@Riley_S I just turned my computer on and came to reply to your message and I received a message saying Boosting XBOX gaming console. It must be detecting the XBOX software on Windows 11. When I run Steam, GOG or the Epic Games app or even just independant games it always says Boosting XBOX.

Options
2024-07-22 23:34:12

Riley_S wrote

@Richardj186,

Awesome to hear, and I am surprised to hear that it is out performing a BE800 as the two are actually pretty similar. Maybe due to the more spread design of the antennae?

I had heard of 6E Devices maintaining their connectivity over surprising distances, even as a backhaul, but have always been skeptical due to the nature of the frequency. If this is the case across the board when it comes to Wi-Fi 7, we will hopefully begin to see more devices take advantage of the frequency soon.

Out of curiosity, would you say that the 6GHz network range and performance are now comparable to your reception for 5GHz in previous Wi-Fi generations? Or do you still see considerable performance decreases as you move away from your router?

@Riley_S I'd say the 6 GHz is about 90% inches comparable to what we see with 5 GHz on the BE800. 

As to the awesome performance, a combination of factors contribute to that:

1.  My house is all on a single floor with never more than 2-3 walls between us and the GE800. 

2.  The GE800 is centrally located in our living room.

3.  Since we have iPhones, MacBooks, Apple TV, and iPads, the way Apple does the hardware in their device, along with the firmware for their WiFi chipsets, play a big role. 

4.  The internal fan - can't be underestimated. Since we live in Texas, it's really hot here. The BE800 and most other routers get quite hot, primarily because of their passive cooling, and that reduces the overall efficiency of the routers as a result.

The GE800's fan does a masterful job at keeping it very cool, usually cooler than the 75° F our house is kept at during the day.  Because the intervals are kept are a nice cool temperature, this helps enormously with the processors and the WiFi connectivity.

I made a simple suggestion on the previous page which would help with the cooling and efficiency even more. 

5.  The GE800 is a gaming router. There are lots of tweaks in the firmware and the hardware to bring it to a level above that of most regular routers.

One of the biggest tweaks is stronger WiFi signal on all three radios, which greatly improves connectivity. 

Another great tweak is the lower latencies, which help with file transfers, gaming, video streaming, etc.  

And a third are the antennae.  Their placement plays a big part, but they're also made of materials designed for better reception and transmission. All of that helps with connectivity throughout the house. 

Options