Hidden Network detected by PC

2024-07-31 09:12:18
Tags: #General Question
Model: Deco W2400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.2 build 20231227 rel.64408

Since I set up my mesh network my windows computer always picks up a hidden network with excellent signal strength. So I decided to try connecting to it as it had to be something in my house since my neighbors wifi signal strength is fair at best. So I  typed in the ssid (which is Deco) and password for the network I set up with my W2400 units and it connected to it but added a 2 at the end of the ssid (making it Deco2) as the non-hidden network (Deco) still shows in the network list. It's not caused any issues that I've noticed but the computer seems to randomly switch to it and seems to register it as a different network each time its up to Deco5 last time I noticed it. I'm pretty sure just turn off the auto reconnect to the hidden network would stop this. I'm just curious as to what exactly is the purpose of this hidden network?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Hidden Network detected by PC
2024-07-31 16:27:52

@Storycoolbro,

Typically, this hidden network is used by your Decos to communicate with each other wireleslly. The same hidden network can be seen with Routers and Range Extenders using OneMesh or EasyMesh connections. This prevents your device traffic from being mixed with the traffic passing through the backhaul with the rest of your devices. I would think that this network does not offer the same features that your main network does and it is recommended to connect your devices to the main network and leave the hidden network as is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 118

Replies: 1

Tags

General Question
Related Articles